Spurs Set to Steal Spanish Striker - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 10, 2012 12:44 AM EST
Tottenham have renewed their interest in Athletic Bilbao striker Fernando Llorente, according to the Mirror. Spurs have been linked with a surprise January move for the Basque forward, who is in the final year of his contract at San Mames and has confirmed he will leave in the summer. The report speculates that given the contractual situation with the player, the White Hart Lane club will offer Bilbao £7m for an immediate transfer; the alternative is the player moves for free in the summer.
However, the 27-year-old has not commented on a mid-season exit. And given that at least three other clubs are interested in his services - Spurs' north London rivals Arsenal, Premier League champions Manchester City and Serie A champions Juventus - it is likely the forward will take his time before committing to any one offer.
Llorente had an excellent season for the Basque club last year, scoring 29 goals in 53 appearances, as Bilbao stormed to the final of the UEFA Europa League, the Spanish Copa del Rey and finished 10th in La Liga. However, this year he has been far less influential at the club, with only one league start and 18 appearances overall; he has scored just twice this term.
AVB Warns Spurs of Everton
Meanwhile, Spurs travel to Goodison Park for their weekend league game, hoping to record a fifth straight win across all competitions. Andre Villas-Boas' side are fourth in the league, with 26 points (and two ahead of rivals Arsenal) and will pull out a gap over fifth-placed West Brom (who lost 2-0 at the Emirates in their game) if they can beat David Moyes' side. However, the former Chelsea manager is taking nothing for granted and warned his players to respect the Toffees.
"It's a very difficult game, one of the most difficult. We want to continue with our momentum, continue to play well, we're five games unbeaten (including the Europa League) with four wins and let's hope we can maintain our form in the Premier League. It will be an extremely competitive game and a tough place to go to. Everton are rested, it's a difficult ground and a competitive team," AVB explained.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Los Angeles Clippers 2014-2015 NBA Preview: Chris Paul, Blake And Lob City Aiming High
- ‘The X Factor Australia' 2014 Winner Prediction - Dean Ray Will Win Title, According To Betting Odds; Marlisa Punzalan, Brothers 3 Are The Underdogs
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored
- Spain Offers To Train Iraqi Troops To Fight Back ISIS Militants: Kurdish Forces Making Gains In Kobani Against ISIS Surge