Liverpool Want £30M Rated Spaniard to Cover for Suarez - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 10, 2012 12:43 AM EST
Liverpool have joined the race to sign Swansea City star striker Michu, according to the Mirror. The report states Reds manager Brendan Rodgers will move for the 26-year-old if he fails to sign Chelsea forward Daniel Sturridge.
Michu signed for the Swans in the summer from La Liga club Rayo Vallecano, and has since impressed hugely. The Spaniard is the leading goalscorer in the Premier League so far this season, with 12 strikes from 16 games. He scored both goals in last weekend's famous win over Arsenal at the Emirates, and struck twice more this weekend, in the 3-4 home defeat to Norwich City.
The forward was valued at £30m by Swans manager Michael Laudrup but the Mirror believes a bid of £10m could be enough to persuade chairman Huw Jenkins.
Sturridge, 23, was believed to be the subject of a £15m bid by the Anfield club but any move north is likely to hinge on two considerations - money and position. The young England international, the Mirror reports, wants £80,000 per week and the promise of a central attacking role. However, Liverpool will not guarantee the central role and have reportedly refused to pay so high a salary.
The bottom line, however, is that Liverpool are in need of strikers. The Reds have only 19 goals from 15 league games this season and Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez has 10 of those. The South American is the only senior striker available to Rodgers at present, with summer signing Fabio Borini still out injured and England international Andy Carroll away on loan to West Ham United. And with Suarez suspended for Sunday's match against West Ham, midfielder Jonjo Shelvey is expected to lead the attacking line.
Liverpool were recently also linked with Serie A club Napoli's Argentine striker Mauro Zarate and have been consistently linked with Arsenal contract rebel Theo Walcott. The 23-year-old England international is in the final year of his deal with the Emirates club and, like Sturridge, he is negotiating for a pay rise and a guaranteed central attacking role.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced