Liverpool Want £30M Rated Spaniard to Cover for Suarez - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 10, 2012 12:43 AM EST
Liverpool have joined the race to sign Swansea City star striker Michu, according to the Mirror. The report states Reds manager Brendan Rodgers will move for the 26-year-old if he fails to sign Chelsea forward Daniel Sturridge.
Michu signed for the Swans in the summer from La Liga club Rayo Vallecano, and has since impressed hugely. The Spaniard is the leading goalscorer in the Premier League so far this season, with 12 strikes from 16 games. He scored both goals in last weekend's famous win over Arsenal at the Emirates, and struck twice more this weekend, in the 3-4 home defeat to Norwich City.
The forward was valued at £30m by Swans manager Michael Laudrup but the Mirror believes a bid of £10m could be enough to persuade chairman Huw Jenkins.
Sturridge, 23, was believed to be the subject of a £15m bid by the Anfield club but any move north is likely to hinge on two considerations - money and position. The young England international, the Mirror reports, wants £80,000 per week and the promise of a central attacking role. However, Liverpool will not guarantee the central role and have reportedly refused to pay so high a salary.
The bottom line, however, is that Liverpool are in need of strikers. The Reds have only 19 goals from 15 league games this season and Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez has 10 of those. The South American is the only senior striker available to Rodgers at present, with summer signing Fabio Borini still out injured and England international Andy Carroll away on loan to West Ham United. And with Suarez suspended for Sunday's match against West Ham, midfielder Jonjo Shelvey is expected to lead the attacking line.
Liverpool were recently also linked with Serie A club Napoli's Argentine striker Mauro Zarate and have been consistently linked with Arsenal contract rebel Theo Walcott. The 23-year-old England international is in the final year of his deal with the Emirates club and, like Sturridge, he is negotiating for a pay rise and a guaranteed central attacking role.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- Serena Williams Shows Off Her Bikini Body With Eva Longoria At The Miami Beach After US Open Victory
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone