Ukraine leader chooses PM Azarov for new term in post
December 9, 2012 11:21 PM EST
Ukraine's Mykola Azarov was set to keep his job as prime minister after the country's president nominated him on Sunday for a fresh term in the post.
President Viktor Yanukovich's nomination of Azarov, which was announced on the presidential website, has to be approved by the new parliament on December 12 when it holds its first session following an election on October 28.
But this seems certain since the ruling Party of the Regions emerged from the election as the biggest single group in the 450-seat chamber and it should easily muster a majority for Azarov's reinstatement.
Azarov, 64, has served as Yanukovich's prime minister since the latter won the presidency in February 2010, and is regarded as a safe pair of hands and a political neutral who is not linked to any specific group of billionaire power-brokers in the country.
Among his first big tasks will be to negotiate a new bailout programme from the International Monetary Fund to help the former Soviet republic repay, or refinance, $9.1 billion owed to foreign creditors next year.
An IMF mission is scheduled to visit Kiev in the second half of January to start discussion on a new stand-by arrangement.
Yanukovich accepted the resignation of Azarov's government on December 3, a move that had been widely expected after the election, and Azarov has been heading an interim government since then.
(Writing By Richard Balmforth; Editing by Andrew Heavens)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date