Nelson Mandela in Hospital, But no Cause for Alarm
By Geetha Pillai | December 9, 2012 9:51 PM EST
President Jacob Zuma visited Mandela on 9 December and said he looked "comfortable and in good care" after a restful night in hospital.
Earlier, a statement from the office of Zuma said "former President Mandela will receive medical attention from time to time which is consistent with his age" and there is "no cause for alarm".
No details about the reason or the extent of his hospital stay were provided by officials.
In February, the 94-year-old anti-apartheid icon was taken to the hospital for exploratory surgery for persistent abdominal pain, which turned out to be nothing serious.
According to an Associated Press report, worshippers have gathered at the Regina Mundi Catholic church in the Soweto area of Johannesburg, a centre of protests during apartheid, to pray for Madiba, as he was affectionately called by South Africans.
He has not been seen in public since South Africa's Football World Cup final in 2010. He is currently living in the quiet hamlet of Qunu in the rural Eastern Cape.
Mandela was the first black president of South Africa and served from 1994 to 1999, before voluntarily stepping down. He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers