Nelson Mandela in Hospital, But no Cause for Alarm
By Geetha Pillai | December 9, 2012 9:51 PM EST
President Jacob Zuma visited Mandela on 9 December and said he looked "comfortable and in good care" after a restful night in hospital.
Earlier, a statement from the office of Zuma said "former President Mandela will receive medical attention from time to time which is consistent with his age" and there is "no cause for alarm".
No details about the reason or the extent of his hospital stay were provided by officials.
In February, the 94-year-old anti-apartheid icon was taken to the hospital for exploratory surgery for persistent abdominal pain, which turned out to be nothing serious.
According to an Associated Press report, worshippers have gathered at the Regina Mundi Catholic church in the Soweto area of Johannesburg, a centre of protests during apartheid, to pray for Madiba, as he was affectionately called by South Africans.
He has not been seen in public since South Africa's Football World Cup final in 2010. He is currently living in the quiet hamlet of Qunu in the rural Eastern Cape.
Mandela was the first black president of South Africa and served from 1994 to 1999, before voluntarily stepping down. He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'