Kate Middleton Prank Call Death: Scotland Yard May Interview Australian DJs
By Geetha Pillai | December 9, 2012 8:55 PM EST
Scotland Yard may interview Michael Christian and Mel Greig, the two Australian DJs who made a hoax call to the King Edward VII Hospital where the Duchess of Cambridge was undergoing treatment for acute morning sickness.
"There has been a request for assistance from London's Metropolitan Police to the New South Wales Police through the Australian Federal Police," Nick Kaldas, the deputy commissioner for New South Wales Police, told Sky News.
"The request has gone to the city central command - the area where the 2Day FM office is. It hasn't been indicated to us that an offence has occurred, they haven't actually asked for anything yet - they've simply touched base, let us know of their interest and they'll get back to us if they want something done. Nothing has been requested of us yet."
A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police confirmed the development and said: "Officers have been in contact with Australian authorities."
Nurse Jacintha Saldanha, 46, was found dead on 7 December, days after she answered a prank call from the 2Day FM presenters, who were pretending to be the Queen and Prince Charles. An inquest is due to open this week.
Meanwhile, the board of Southern Cross Austereo, the firm which owns 2Day FM, held a crisis meeting to discuss the letter from the King Edward VII Hospital, where Saldanha worked.
"It was extremely foolish of your presenters even to consider trying to lie their way through to one of our patients, let alone actually make the call," said Lord Glenarthur, Chairman of the hospital in a letter to the Australian radio station.
He said the "premeditated and ill-considered actions" led to the "humiliation" of two dedicated and caring nurses.
Southern Cross Austereo is expected to release a statement on Monday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- Wildfires in Canada & U.S. ‘Still Active’
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports