Kate Middleton Prank Call Death: Scotland Yard May Interview Australian DJs
By Geetha Pillai | December 9, 2012 8:55 PM EST
Scotland Yard may interview Michael Christian and Mel Greig, the two Australian DJs who made a hoax call to the King Edward VII Hospital where the Duchess of Cambridge was undergoing treatment for acute morning sickness.
"There has been a request for assistance from London's Metropolitan Police to the New South Wales Police through the Australian Federal Police," Nick Kaldas, the deputy commissioner for New South Wales Police, told Sky News.
"The request has gone to the city central command - the area where the 2Day FM office is. It hasn't been indicated to us that an offence has occurred, they haven't actually asked for anything yet - they've simply touched base, let us know of their interest and they'll get back to us if they want something done. Nothing has been requested of us yet."
A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police confirmed the development and said: "Officers have been in contact with Australian authorities."
Nurse Jacintha Saldanha, 46, was found dead on 7 December, days after she answered a prank call from the 2Day FM presenters, who were pretending to be the Queen and Prince Charles. An inquest is due to open this week.
Meanwhile, the board of Southern Cross Austereo, the firm which owns 2Day FM, held a crisis meeting to discuss the letter from the King Edward VII Hospital, where Saldanha worked.
"It was extremely foolish of your presenters even to consider trying to lie their way through to one of our patients, let alone actually make the call," said Lord Glenarthur, Chairman of the hospital in a letter to the Australian radio station.
He said the "premeditated and ill-considered actions" led to the "humiliation" of two dedicated and caring nurses.
Southern Cross Austereo is expected to release a statement on Monday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Top Fake News Websites - Be Aware Or Beware
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu