Chelsea Prepare for Guardiola's Arrival, Linked with Barcelona Star - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 9, 2012 7:35 PM EST
Chelsea are considering a £30m bid for Barcelona defensive midfielder Sergio Busquets, according to the Mirror. The club's scout, Scott McLachlan, was reportedly in attendance for a Spanish league game last week. The 24-year-old Spanish international, a World Cup and double European Championship winner with his national team, is believed to be considering a move out of La Liga. However, the Catalan club will not allow him to leave mid-season, meaning any deal for his services will have to wait until summer.
The Mirror previously also linked Busquets with a move to Manchester City and the Premier League champions' manager, Roberto Mancini, is believed to retain an interest in the Spaniard; particularly since the club has made no progress, so far, in signing Italian international Daniele De Rossi from Serie A club Roma.
A move for Busquets, whether by City or Chelsea, may also be seen as the precursor to attracting former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola. The hugely successful former Barcelona midfielder, who led the Nou Camp club to multiple league and Champions League titles before resigning in the summer (citing stress as a reason), has been linked with appointments at several top European clubs, now that his self-imposed year-long sabbatical is coming to a close.
Reports have linked him with moves to Manchester United (to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson), City, Chelsea (who are reportedly ready to offer £20m per year), Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich and Serie A club AC Milan.
Meanwhile, Barcelona president Sandro Rossell has been less than impressed with continuing rumours over his star players and hit out at rival clubs, insisting the club's motto - Més que un club ("More than a club") - was not just words on a flag.
"Busquets is the last try from City and in the past we have had the same situation for Messi, Valdes, Xavi and Puyol. But they have all stayed and this is the power and force of Barca. Some clubs have asked about Messi, but Leo personally has refused to negotiate," the president declared.
Benitez Records First League Win
Finally, Chelsea players gave Abramovich and their fans some good news and beleaguered interim manager Rafael Benitez a probable stay of execution, by cruising to a win over Sunderland at the Stadium of Light. And under pressure £50m Spanish striker Fernando Torres was the hero, with two first half goals and an assist for compatriot Juan Mata in the second. Torres, 28, has now scored four goals in two games for the Blues, which means he has doubled his tally for the season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More