Chelsea Prepare for Guardiola's Arrival, Linked with Barcelona Star - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 9, 2012 7:35 PM EST
Chelsea are considering a £30m bid for Barcelona defensive midfielder Sergio Busquets, according to the Mirror. The club's scout, Scott McLachlan, was reportedly in attendance for a Spanish league game last week. The 24-year-old Spanish international, a World Cup and double European Championship winner with his national team, is believed to be considering a move out of La Liga. However, the Catalan club will not allow him to leave mid-season, meaning any deal for his services will have to wait until summer.
The Mirror previously also linked Busquets with a move to Manchester City and the Premier League champions' manager, Roberto Mancini, is believed to retain an interest in the Spaniard; particularly since the club has made no progress, so far, in signing Italian international Daniele De Rossi from Serie A club Roma.
A move for Busquets, whether by City or Chelsea, may also be seen as the precursor to attracting former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola. The hugely successful former Barcelona midfielder, who led the Nou Camp club to multiple league and Champions League titles before resigning in the summer (citing stress as a reason), has been linked with appointments at several top European clubs, now that his self-imposed year-long sabbatical is coming to a close.
Reports have linked him with moves to Manchester United (to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson), City, Chelsea (who are reportedly ready to offer £20m per year), Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich and Serie A club AC Milan.
Meanwhile, Barcelona president Sandro Rossell has been less than impressed with continuing rumours over his star players and hit out at rival clubs, insisting the club's motto - Més que un club ("More than a club") - was not just words on a flag.
"Busquets is the last try from City and in the past we have had the same situation for Messi, Valdes, Xavi and Puyol. But they have all stayed and this is the power and force of Barca. Some clubs have asked about Messi, but Leo personally has refused to negotiate," the president declared.
Benitez Records First League Win
Finally, Chelsea players gave Abramovich and their fans some good news and beleaguered interim manager Rafael Benitez a probable stay of execution, by cruising to a win over Sunderland at the Stadium of Light. And under pressure £50m Spanish striker Fernando Torres was the hero, with two first half goals and an assist for compatriot Juan Mata in the second. Torres, 28, has now scored four goals in two games for the Blues, which means he has doubled his tally for the season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet