Intel to Introduce Budget Android Smartphones in India
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 9, 2012 5:14 PM EST
According to an Android OS report, Intel is planning to expand its market visibility with smartphones that are powered by Intel processors. It was said that the company will foray into the market with handsets which would cost less than Rs 7,000 each.
"The first handset with Lava that we launched was a premium one. We learnt that it was important to have a portfolio and offer choice to the user. We will not have entry-level handsets but our smartphone range will be priced upwards of Rs 7, 000," said Debjani Ghosh, Intel South Asia Managing Director, Sales and Marketing to the Press Trust of India.
Most of the smartphones in the market are powered by ARM processor. Lava Xolo X900 is one of the few devices which is powered by the Intel processor. On a global level, chip manufacturers are on a race to build their brand loyalty and to make known to people the brands that are supplying the inner components of mobile devices. Among the manufacturers, Intel, Qualcomm and Nvidia are trying to find glory in the market with their new devices. Google's Motorola Mobility had launched Razr I in September in partnership with Intel. The same venture is expected to launch a series of devices powered by single-core 2GHz processor in the following months.
"Without a doubt, my goal would be to have consumers walk into stores and have Intel Inside as a key driver of which phone or tablet they choose, just like we've done in the PC space," Brian Fravel, Intel's head of branding had said earlier as quoted by Reuters.
Qualcomm is also gearing to launch its smartphones with quad-core processors in the coming year. Intel's upcoming smartphones would be positioned to compete with Qualcomm devices. The company earlier said that it will showcase new devices including smartphones and ultra books at the Consumer Electronics Show early January.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- Baby Gammy Will Be Australian Citizen Soon
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance