Intel to Introduce Budget Android Smartphones in India
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 9, 2012 5:14 PM EST
According to an Android OS report, Intel is planning to expand its market visibility with smartphones that are powered by Intel processors. It was said that the company will foray into the market with handsets which would cost less than Rs 7,000 each.
"The first handset with Lava that we launched was a premium one. We learnt that it was important to have a portfolio and offer choice to the user. We will not have entry-level handsets but our smartphone range will be priced upwards of Rs 7, 000," said Debjani Ghosh, Intel South Asia Managing Director, Sales and Marketing to the Press Trust of India.
Most of the smartphones in the market are powered by ARM processor. Lava Xolo X900 is one of the few devices which is powered by the Intel processor. On a global level, chip manufacturers are on a race to build their brand loyalty and to make known to people the brands that are supplying the inner components of mobile devices. Among the manufacturers, Intel, Qualcomm and Nvidia are trying to find glory in the market with their new devices. Google's Motorola Mobility had launched Razr I in September in partnership with Intel. The same venture is expected to launch a series of devices powered by single-core 2GHz processor in the following months.
"Without a doubt, my goal would be to have consumers walk into stores and have Intel Inside as a key driver of which phone or tablet they choose, just like we've done in the PC space," Brian Fravel, Intel's head of branding had said earlier as quoted by Reuters.
Qualcomm is also gearing to launch its smartphones with quad-core processors in the coming year. Intel's upcoming smartphones would be positioned to compete with Qualcomm devices. The company earlier said that it will showcase new devices including smartphones and ultra books at the Consumer Electronics Show early January.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions