Berlusconi says will run to become Italian PM for fifth time
December 9, 2012 1:07 AM EST
Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi said on Saturday he would run to become the country's leader for a fifth time, and that his PDL party would vote to pass next year's budget.
"I'm returning sadly to public service," Berlusconi told reporters on the sidelines of the practice field for his AC Milan soccer club broadcast by his 24-hour news channel TGCOM24. "And again I'm doing it out of a sense of responsibility."
Berlusconi announced he would run in his sixth national election just two days after his People of Liberty party withdrew support for Mario Monti's government, bringing the country close to a snap election a few months short of the natural end of the legislature.
(Reporting by Steve Scherer; Editing by Mark Heinrich)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- US And Australia Share Visa And Immigration Information
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October