Kate Middleton Prank Call Death: Profile of Tragic Nurse Jacintha Saldanha
By Sanskrity Sinha | December 8, 2012 11:55 PM EST
Was the 46-year-old nurse so racked with guilt she took her own life? How will her death affect the media, which is already frantic for news of the Duchess of Cambridge's pregnancy? And how will all this affect 2Day FM, the radio station behind the whole affair?
Saldanha's death has dominated reports in a number of leading British news organisations, and international broadcast ethics and media laws have once again come under scrutiny. The Australian radio channel, it need hardly be added, has been pulled up as well and there are reports that advertisers are rushing to pull spots before they are aired. The chief executive of the station, Rhys Holleran, has been quoted as defending his DJs, Mel Greig and Michael Christian.
However, the most important part of all this, perhaps, is Jacintha Saldanha herself. After the King Edward VII Hospital revealed her name, the tragic figure has become the centre of the story. The Guardian's report states her family lives in Bristol and she is survived by her partner Ben Barboza, a 16-year-old son, Junal, and a daughter named Lisha, who is thought to be 14.
Saldanha and her partner were both born in India, in the small town of Shirva, which is near Mangalore in the Udupi district of the southern state of Karnataka.
"I am devastated with the tragic loss of my beloved wife Jacintha in tragic circumstances, She will be laid to rest in Shirva, India will update this information," Barboza, whose profile states he works for the National Health Service, wrote on his Facebook timeline.
"Heartfelt condolences to you, Ben Uncle. May the good God grant her soul eternal peace," a relative commented.
Meanwhile, Junal and Lisha Barboza have yet to make any comment.
Jacintha’s death has left this family devastated.
“We as a family are deeply saddened by the loss of our beloved Jacintha. We would ask that the media respect our privacy at this difficult time. We would request that you direct your questions and queries through the police press office,” they said in a statement, Heavy.com reports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans