Japan Earthquake One Of 14 Significant Shakers To Strike Asia-Pacific Region Friday
December 8, 2012 4:39 PM EST
Friday may not have been a forerunner of the Mayan Apocalypse, but it was nonetheless an earthshaking day around the Pacific Rim, as the U.S. Geological Survey reported 14 earthquakes of at least magnitude 5.0 hit the Asia-Pacific region.
The three biggest were the magnitude-7.3 quake 152.24 miles southeast of Kamaishi, Japan; the magnitude-6.3 temblor 13.05 miles east-southeast of Tokoroa, New Zealand; and the magnitude-6.2 trembler 135.46 miles southeast of Ofunato, Japan.
Both China and Papua New Guinea also were struck by significant earthquakes, according to the USGS.
The largest of the nine Japanese quakes was the most powerful to hit the country since March of last year, Bloomberg News reported.
Unlike the Great East Japan Earthquake that caused a extremely deadly tsunami 128 feet high and multiple nuclear-reactor meltdowns in 2011, this temblor resulted in surprisingly little damage. The trembler led buildings to sway in Tokyo for several minutes and temporarily disrupted airline and railroad traffic, Bloomberg News said. Meanwhile, the associated tsunami was only about three feet high.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’