Japan Earthquake One Of 14 Significant Shakers To Strike Asia-Pacific Region Friday
December 8, 2012 4:39 PM EST
Friday may not have been a forerunner of the Mayan Apocalypse, but it was nonetheless an earthshaking day around the Pacific Rim, as the U.S. Geological Survey reported 14 earthquakes of at least magnitude 5.0 hit the Asia-Pacific region.
The three biggest were the magnitude-7.3 quake 152.24 miles southeast of Kamaishi, Japan; the magnitude-6.3 temblor 13.05 miles east-southeast of Tokoroa, New Zealand; and the magnitude-6.2 trembler 135.46 miles southeast of Ofunato, Japan.
Both China and Papua New Guinea also were struck by significant earthquakes, according to the USGS.
The largest of the nine Japanese quakes was the most powerful to hit the country since March of last year, Bloomberg News reported.
Unlike the Great East Japan Earthquake that caused a extremely deadly tsunami 128 feet high and multiple nuclear-reactor meltdowns in 2011, this temblor resulted in surprisingly little damage. The trembler led buildings to sway in Tokyo for several minutes and temporarily disrupted airline and railroad traffic, Bloomberg News said. Meanwhile, the associated tsunami was only about three feet high.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal