Japan Earthquake One Of 14 Significant Shakers To Strike Asia-Pacific Region Friday
December 8, 2012 4:39 PM EST
Friday may not have been a forerunner of the Mayan Apocalypse, but it was nonetheless an earthshaking day around the Pacific Rim, as the U.S. Geological Survey reported 14 earthquakes of at least magnitude 5.0 hit the Asia-Pacific region.
The three biggest were the magnitude-7.3 quake 152.24 miles southeast of Kamaishi, Japan; the magnitude-6.3 temblor 13.05 miles east-southeast of Tokoroa, New Zealand; and the magnitude-6.2 trembler 135.46 miles southeast of Ofunato, Japan.
Both China and Papua New Guinea also were struck by significant earthquakes, according to the USGS.
The largest of the nine Japanese quakes was the most powerful to hit the country since March of last year, Bloomberg News reported.
Unlike the Great East Japan Earthquake that caused a extremely deadly tsunami 128 feet high and multiple nuclear-reactor meltdowns in 2011, this temblor resulted in surprisingly little damage. The trembler led buildings to sway in Tokyo for several minutes and temporarily disrupted airline and railroad traffic, Bloomberg News said. Meanwhile, the associated tsunami was only about three feet high.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting: Giant 5 Mile Wide UFO Spotted Over the Ocean in NASA Photograph [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting In Portsmouth: Sign Of Alien Life Or Smudge On The Camera [Watch Video]
- Death By Ice Bucket Challenge Accident For Kentucky Firefighter
- Canada PM Stephen Harper to Skip UN Climate Summit
- Lifestyle Changes Reduces Risk of Dementia, According To World Alzheimer Report 2014
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border