Drew Barrymore Baby, Actress Dishes To Ellen DeGeneres, On Why She Named Her Daughter Olive
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 8, 2012 7:38 AM EST
New mom, Drew Barrymore, welcomed her daughter, Olive on Sept. 26, and on Thursday, told talk show host, Ellen DeGeneres why she and husband, Will Kopelman, decided to give their baby girl that name.
USA Today notes that couple had decided on a name before Barrymore was even past her first trimester.
"I never would have guessed that would have been the name," Barrymore told DeGeneres.
"But I was reading a book with my husband. I was three months pregnant and they said your baby is the size of an olive, and that was it. We never looked back."
In usual fashion, DeGeneres poked some jokes at the situation, first saying, "It could have been the size of a peanut or a grapefruit."
Barrymore humorously played along.
"It could have been," she said. "It was a lot fruit and vegetables."
"It could have been named kidney bean?" Ellen continued, to which Barrymore replied, "Kidney's not such a fun name."
Barrymore added that she and her husband were "shopping a few [names] as all people do who are so blessed to get to do this. And then once the light was shed, there was just no turning back."
Baby Olive is now ten weeks old.
E! News notes that Barrymore has history with the name. In 1999 she voiced a character named Olive in the TV holiday special “Olive the Other Reindeer.”
In addition, in 1995, the actress told Rolling Stone that she wanted a name a future daughter, Ruby Daffodil while she was dating Eric Erlandson of the band Hole.
She and her husband married in June in Montecito, California.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed