Drew Barrymore Baby, Actress Dishes To Ellen DeGeneres, On Why She Named Her Daughter Olive
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 8, 2012 7:38 AM EST
New mom, Drew Barrymore, welcomed her daughter, Olive on Sept. 26, and on Thursday, told talk show host, Ellen DeGeneres why she and husband, Will Kopelman, decided to give their baby girl that name.
USA Today notes that couple had decided on a name before Barrymore was even past her first trimester.
"I never would have guessed that would have been the name," Barrymore told DeGeneres.
"But I was reading a book with my husband. I was three months pregnant and they said your baby is the size of an olive, and that was it. We never looked back."
In usual fashion, DeGeneres poked some jokes at the situation, first saying, "It could have been the size of a peanut or a grapefruit."
Barrymore humorously played along.
"It could have been," she said. "It was a lot fruit and vegetables."
"It could have been named kidney bean?" Ellen continued, to which Barrymore replied, "Kidney's not such a fun name."
Barrymore added that she and her husband were "shopping a few [names] as all people do who are so blessed to get to do this. And then once the light was shed, there was just no turning back."
Baby Olive is now ten weeks old.
E! News notes that Barrymore has history with the name. In 1999 she voiced a character named Olive in the TV holiday special “Olive the Other Reindeer.”
In addition, in 1995, the actress told Rolling Stone that she wanted a name a future daughter, Ruby Daffodil while she was dating Eric Erlandson of the band Hole.
She and her husband married in June in Montecito, California.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports