Drew Barrymore Baby, Actress Dishes To Ellen DeGeneres, On Why She Named Her Daughter Olive
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 8, 2012 7:38 AM EST
New mom, Drew Barrymore, welcomed her daughter, Olive on Sept. 26, and on Thursday, told talk show host, Ellen DeGeneres why she and husband, Will Kopelman, decided to give their baby girl that name.
USA Today notes that couple had decided on a name before Barrymore was even past her first trimester.
"I never would have guessed that would have been the name," Barrymore told DeGeneres.
"But I was reading a book with my husband. I was three months pregnant and they said your baby is the size of an olive, and that was it. We never looked back."
In usual fashion, DeGeneres poked some jokes at the situation, first saying, "It could have been the size of a peanut or a grapefruit."
Barrymore humorously played along.
"It could have been," she said. "It was a lot fruit and vegetables."
"It could have been named kidney bean?" Ellen continued, to which Barrymore replied, "Kidney's not such a fun name."
Barrymore added that she and her husband were "shopping a few [names] as all people do who are so blessed to get to do this. And then once the light was shed, there was just no turning back."
Baby Olive is now ten weeks old.
E! News notes that Barrymore has history with the name. In 1999 she voiced a character named Olive in the TV holiday special “Olive the Other Reindeer.”
In addition, in 1995, the actress told Rolling Stone that she wanted a name a future daughter, Ruby Daffodil while she was dating Eric Erlandson of the band Hole.
She and her husband married in June in Montecito, California.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast