Kate Middleton Prank Call Death: 2Day FM Drops Mel Greig and Michael Christian
By Ewan Palmer | December 8, 2012 5:56 AM EST
Australian radio station 2Day FM has confirmed that the two hosts who played a prank phone call on the hospital where Kate Middleton was being treated for morning sickness will not return to the show until further notice, following the death of Jacintha Saldanha.
The station also offered its "deepest sympathies" to the family of the nurse after she was found dead at an address near the King Edward VII's Hospital where she worked.
Saldanha took the call from 2Day FM DJs Mel Greig and Michael Christian who were pretending to be the Queen and Prince Charles. The phone conversation was broadcast on the show and on the station's website.
Saldanha, a married mother of two, had answered the phone as there was no receptionist on duty. Hospital management said they had not suspended or disciplined her for unwittingly giving out medical information about the Duchess of Cambridge to the callers.
2Day FM said: "We extend our deepest sympathies to her family and all that have been affected by this situation around the world.
"Chief executive officer Rhys Holleran has spoken with the presenters: they are both deeply shocked and at this time we have agreed that they do not comment about the circumstances.
"SCA [Southern Cross Austereo, the station's owner] and the hosts have decided that they will not return to their radio show until further notice out of respect for what can only be described as a tragedy."
Saldanha's family said: "We as a family are deeply saddened by the loss of our beloved Jacintha."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate