Kate Middleton Prank Call Death: 2Day FM Drops Mel Greig and Michael Christian
By Ewan Palmer | December 8, 2012 5:56 AM EST
Australian radio station 2Day FM has confirmed that the two hosts who played a prank phone call on the hospital where Kate Middleton was being treated for morning sickness will not return to the show until further notice, following the death of Jacintha Saldanha.
The station also offered its "deepest sympathies" to the family of the nurse after she was found dead at an address near the King Edward VII's Hospital where she worked.
Saldanha took the call from 2Day FM DJs Mel Greig and Michael Christian who were pretending to be the Queen and Prince Charles. The phone conversation was broadcast on the show and on the station's website.
Saldanha, a married mother of two, had answered the phone as there was no receptionist on duty. Hospital management said they had not suspended or disciplined her for unwittingly giving out medical information about the Duchess of Cambridge to the callers.
2Day FM said: "We extend our deepest sympathies to her family and all that have been affected by this situation around the world.
"Chief executive officer Rhys Holleran has spoken with the presenters: they are both deeply shocked and at this time we have agreed that they do not comment about the circumstances.
"SCA [Southern Cross Austereo, the station's owner] and the hosts have decided that they will not return to their radio show until further notice out of respect for what can only be described as a tragedy."
Saldanha's family said: "We as a family are deeply saddened by the loss of our beloved Jacintha."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Racist Note Stereotyping Asian Drivers Left on Parked Car in NSW Sparks Online Outrage
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- New Zealand Election Countdown: Final Campaign Week Marred With More Controversial 'Revelations'
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III