Kate Middleton Prank Call Death: 2Day FM Drops Mel Greig and Michael Christian
By Ewan Palmer | December 8, 2012 5:56 AM EST
Australian radio station 2Day FM has confirmed that the two hosts who played a prank phone call on the hospital where Kate Middleton was being treated for morning sickness will not return to the show until further notice, following the death of Jacintha Saldanha.
The station also offered its "deepest sympathies" to the family of the nurse after she was found dead at an address near the King Edward VII's Hospital where she worked.
Saldanha took the call from 2Day FM DJs Mel Greig and Michael Christian who were pretending to be the Queen and Prince Charles. The phone conversation was broadcast on the show and on the station's website.
Saldanha, a married mother of two, had answered the phone as there was no receptionist on duty. Hospital management said they had not suspended or disciplined her for unwittingly giving out medical information about the Duchess of Cambridge to the callers.
2Day FM said: "We extend our deepest sympathies to her family and all that have been affected by this situation around the world.
"Chief executive officer Rhys Holleran has spoken with the presenters: they are both deeply shocked and at this time we have agreed that they do not comment about the circumstances.
"SCA [Southern Cross Austereo, the station's owner] and the hosts have decided that they will not return to their radio show until further notice out of respect for what can only be described as a tragedy."
Saldanha's family said: "We as a family are deeply saddened by the loss of our beloved Jacintha."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans