Mel Greig, 2Day FM Radio Station, Issues Apology For Jacintha Saldanha Prank Call [PHOTO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 8, 2012 5:14 AM EST
Mel Greig and the 2Day FM radio station, the outlet responsible for the royal prank call, has apologized for airing Kate Middleton's private medical information, after they called the hospital where she was staying due to morning sickness and spoke to a nurse.
"2Day FM sincerely apologises for any inconvenience cause(d) by the enquiry to Kate's hospital. The radio segment was done with the best intentions and we wish Kate and her family all the best," the station said via written statement.
Two days after the royal prank call that made international news headlines, Jacintha Saldanha, the nurse who was tricked into thinking she was giving information to the Queen and Prince Charles, committed suicide.
Greig and his partner in crime Michael Christian called King Edward VII's hospital in London pretending to be the Queen and Prince Charles. Saldanha believed the call was real and gave the DJ’s a legitimate update on the condition of Middleton.
A statement released by King Edward VII's hospital and obtained by a London radio station confirms the death of nurse Saldanah.
“It is with very deep sadness that we confirm the tragic death of a member of our nursing staff, Jacintha Saldanha.”
The royal family has also issued a statement reacting to news of Saldanha’s death.
“The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are deeply saddened to learn of the death of Jacintha Saldanha. Their Royal Highnesses were looked after so wonderfully well at all times by everybody at King Edward VII Hospital, and their thoughts and prayers are with Jacintha Saldanha’s family, friends and colleagues at this very sad time.”
According to a Sky News report, Saldanha was found at an address near the hospital.
A Scotland Yard spokesman told the news outlet that "police were called at approximately 9.35am this morning to a report of a woman found unconscious at an address in Weymouth Street, W1.
"London Ambulance Service attended and the woman was pronounced dead at the scene. Inquiries are continuing to establish the circumstances of the incident.
"The death is not being treated as suspicious at this stage."
Additionally, London Ambulance Service said, “we were called at 9.25am to an address in Weymouth Street. We sent 2 ambulances crews and a duty officer, sadly the patient was dead at the scene."
According to the hospital statement, Saldanha worked at the hospital for more than four years and was an “excellent nurse.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Captain America 3’: Red Skull Returns, Greater Villains Added
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display