Mel Greig, 2Day FM Radio Station, Issues Apology For Jacintha Saldanha Prank Call [PHOTO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 8, 2012 5:14 AM EST
Mel Greig and the 2Day FM radio station, the outlet responsible for the royal prank call, has apologized for airing Kate Middleton's private medical information, after they called the hospital where she was staying due to morning sickness and spoke to a nurse.
"2Day FM sincerely apologises for any inconvenience cause(d) by the enquiry to Kate's hospital. The radio segment was done with the best intentions and we wish Kate and her family all the best," the station said via written statement.
Two days after the royal prank call that made international news headlines, Jacintha Saldanha, the nurse who was tricked into thinking she was giving information to the Queen and Prince Charles, committed suicide.
Greig and his partner in crime Michael Christian called King Edward VII's hospital in London pretending to be the Queen and Prince Charles. Saldanha believed the call was real and gave the DJ’s a legitimate update on the condition of Middleton.
A statement released by King Edward VII's hospital and obtained by a London radio station confirms the death of nurse Saldanah.
“It is with very deep sadness that we confirm the tragic death of a member of our nursing staff, Jacintha Saldanha.”
The royal family has also issued a statement reacting to news of Saldanha’s death.
“The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are deeply saddened to learn of the death of Jacintha Saldanha. Their Royal Highnesses were looked after so wonderfully well at all times by everybody at King Edward VII Hospital, and their thoughts and prayers are with Jacintha Saldanha’s family, friends and colleagues at this very sad time.”
According to a Sky News report, Saldanha was found at an address near the hospital.
A Scotland Yard spokesman told the news outlet that "police were called at approximately 9.35am this morning to a report of a woman found unconscious at an address in Weymouth Street, W1.
"London Ambulance Service attended and the woman was pronounced dead at the scene. Inquiries are continuing to establish the circumstances of the incident.
"The death is not being treated as suspicious at this stage."
Additionally, London Ambulance Service said, “we were called at 9.25am to an address in Weymouth Street. We sent 2 ambulances crews and a duty officer, sadly the patient was dead at the scene."
According to the hospital statement, Saldanha worked at the hospital for more than four years and was an “excellent nurse.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 22, 2014: Liam’s Confession About Paris To Hope And Deacon’s Revelation To Brooke In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Chuck Zito Apologises For Offensive Comment On Christy Mack Beating
- ‘True Blood’ Final Episode Thank You: Watch Sookie Ask Whether God Made Us All, Find Out Why 'True Blood' Is Ending [VIDEO]
- Kanye West's 2010 Album 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' is Album of the Decade
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Kaley Cuoco Says ‘Season 8 Here We Come’ In Instagram Video, Sports Pixie Haircut
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop