Mel Greig, 2Day FM Radio Station, Issues Apology For Jacintha Saldanha Prank Call [PHOTO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 8, 2012 5:14 AM EST
Mel Greig and the 2Day FM radio station, the outlet responsible for the royal prank call, has apologized for airing Kate Middleton's private medical information, after they called the hospital where she was staying due to morning sickness and spoke to a nurse.
"2Day FM sincerely apologises for any inconvenience cause(d) by the enquiry to Kate's hospital. The radio segment was done with the best intentions and we wish Kate and her family all the best," the station said via written statement.
Two days after the royal prank call that made international news headlines, Jacintha Saldanha, the nurse who was tricked into thinking she was giving information to the Queen and Prince Charles, committed suicide.
Greig and his partner in crime Michael Christian called King Edward VII's hospital in London pretending to be the Queen and Prince Charles. Saldanha believed the call was real and gave the DJ’s a legitimate update on the condition of Middleton.
A statement released by King Edward VII's hospital and obtained by a London radio station confirms the death of nurse Saldanah.
“It is with very deep sadness that we confirm the tragic death of a member of our nursing staff, Jacintha Saldanha.”
The royal family has also issued a statement reacting to news of Saldanha’s death.
“The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are deeply saddened to learn of the death of Jacintha Saldanha. Their Royal Highnesses were looked after so wonderfully well at all times by everybody at King Edward VII Hospital, and their thoughts and prayers are with Jacintha Saldanha’s family, friends and colleagues at this very sad time.”
According to a Sky News report, Saldanha was found at an address near the hospital.
A Scotland Yard spokesman told the news outlet that "police were called at approximately 9.35am this morning to a report of a woman found unconscious at an address in Weymouth Street, W1.
"London Ambulance Service attended and the woman was pronounced dead at the scene. Inquiries are continuing to establish the circumstances of the incident.
"The death is not being treated as suspicious at this stage."
Additionally, London Ambulance Service said, “we were called at 9.25am to an address in Weymouth Street. We sent 2 ambulances crews and a duty officer, sadly the patient was dead at the scene."
According to the hospital statement, Saldanha worked at the hospital for more than four years and was an “excellent nurse.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date