Mel Greig, 2Day FM Radio Station, Issues Apology For Jacintha Saldanha Prank Call [PHOTO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 8, 2012 5:14 AM EST
Mel Greig and the 2Day FM radio station, the outlet responsible for the royal prank call, has apologized for airing Kate Middleton's private medical information, after they called the hospital where she was staying due to morning sickness and spoke to a nurse.
"2Day FM sincerely apologises for any inconvenience cause(d) by the enquiry to Kate's hospital. The radio segment was done with the best intentions and we wish Kate and her family all the best," the station said via written statement.
Two days after the royal prank call that made international news headlines, Jacintha Saldanha, the nurse who was tricked into thinking she was giving information to the Queen and Prince Charles, committed suicide.
Greig and his partner in crime Michael Christian called King Edward VII's hospital in London pretending to be the Queen and Prince Charles. Saldanha believed the call was real and gave the DJ’s a legitimate update on the condition of Middleton.
A statement released by King Edward VII's hospital and obtained by a London radio station confirms the death of nurse Saldanah.
“It is with very deep sadness that we confirm the tragic death of a member of our nursing staff, Jacintha Saldanha.”
The royal family has also issued a statement reacting to news of Saldanha’s death.
“The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are deeply saddened to learn of the death of Jacintha Saldanha. Their Royal Highnesses were looked after so wonderfully well at all times by everybody at King Edward VII Hospital, and their thoughts and prayers are with Jacintha Saldanha’s family, friends and colleagues at this very sad time.”
According to a Sky News report, Saldanha was found at an address near the hospital.
A Scotland Yard spokesman told the news outlet that "police were called at approximately 9.35am this morning to a report of a woman found unconscious at an address in Weymouth Street, W1.
"London Ambulance Service attended and the woman was pronounced dead at the scene. Inquiries are continuing to establish the circumstances of the incident.
"The death is not being treated as suspicious at this stage."
Additionally, London Ambulance Service said, “we were called at 9.25am to an address in Weymouth Street. We sent 2 ambulances crews and a duty officer, sadly the patient was dead at the scene."
According to the hospital statement, Saldanha worked at the hospital for more than four years and was an “excellent nurse.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports