Kate Middleton Prank Call Death: Australia's 2Day FM Radio Caught in Backlash [VIDEO]
By Gianluca Mezzofiore | December 8, 2012 3:16 AM EST
The Australian radio station that broadcast the hoax phone call to the King Edward VII's Hospital, where Kate Middleton was being treated for acute morning sickness, has been caught in a furious backlash following the death of the nurse who took the prank call.
Jacintha Saldanha, a nurse who was staffing the hospital's switchboard when the call came in, was found dead at an address close to the hospital just before 9.30am today.
Saldhanha took the phone call on Wednesday from two Australian DJs, Mel Greig and Michael Christian, who were pretending to be the Queen and Prince Philip asking after Kate's condition.
"And the result of this prank is the death of the person taking the call. These two should now resign or if not then sacked by Monday," reads one comment.
"Shame on you both - should be struck off," reads another.
"Well done you now have the death of an innocent woman on your hands are you laughing now you stupid a*s h*les you play with others' lives just for a laugh," says a third.
"Childish, stupid and cruel. You should be ashamed of yourselves," a user called Eels says. "Regardless of the identity of the mother, a lady should have her privacy respected. It wasn't funny and I hope the station has the guts and the decency to fire you both. Are you still laughing now?"
"Happy? Your families must be so proud of you for pulling this one - you never will understand the full results of your actions - but you both are responsible to some point for the death of a woman who was just supporting her family and doing her job," user mickey5432 says.
"This radio station should be disgusted. The presenters and producer should be put in a room with the nurse's family," reads another one.
Greig said shortly after the broadcast of the stunt: "This is by far the best prank I've ever been involved in ... it seemed so far-fetched to us but it actually worked. It's definitely a career highlight."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- US Government Threatened Yahoo to Provide User Data: If not Pay a Fine of $250,000 per day
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List
- Pope Francis Blasted For Defying Catholic Doctrine, Marries 20 Couples Who Have Cohabited And Had Children In No Else But St Peter's Basilica