Kate Middleton Prank Call Death: Australia's 2Day FM Radio Caught in Backlash [VIDEO]
By Gianluca Mezzofiore | December 8, 2012 3:16 AM EST
The Australian radio station that broadcast the hoax phone call to the King Edward VII's Hospital, where Kate Middleton was being treated for acute morning sickness, has been caught in a furious backlash following the death of the nurse who took the prank call.
Jacintha Saldanha, a nurse who was staffing the hospital's switchboard when the call came in, was found dead at an address close to the hospital just before 9.30am today.
Saldhanha took the phone call on Wednesday from two Australian DJs, Mel Greig and Michael Christian, who were pretending to be the Queen and Prince Philip asking after Kate's condition.
"And the result of this prank is the death of the person taking the call. These two should now resign or if not then sacked by Monday," reads one comment.
"Shame on you both - should be struck off," reads another.
"Well done you now have the death of an innocent woman on your hands are you laughing now you stupid a*s h*les you play with others' lives just for a laugh," says a third.
"Childish, stupid and cruel. You should be ashamed of yourselves," a user called Eels says. "Regardless of the identity of the mother, a lady should have her privacy respected. It wasn't funny and I hope the station has the guts and the decency to fire you both. Are you still laughing now?"
"Happy? Your families must be so proud of you for pulling this one - you never will understand the full results of your actions - but you both are responsible to some point for the death of a woman who was just supporting her family and doing her job," user mickey5432 says.
"This radio station should be disgusted. The presenters and producer should be put in a room with the nurse's family," reads another one.
Greig said shortly after the broadcast of the stunt: "This is by far the best prank I've ever been involved in ... it seemed so far-fetched to us but it actually worked. It's definitely a career highlight."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- NSW Braces for Severe Weather Condition
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools