Kate Middleton Prank Call Death: Australia's 2Day FM Radio Caught in Backlash [VIDEO]
By Gianluca Mezzofiore | December 8, 2012 3:16 AM EST
The Australian radio station that broadcast the hoax phone call to the King Edward VII's Hospital, where Kate Middleton was being treated for acute morning sickness, has been caught in a furious backlash following the death of the nurse who took the prank call.
Jacintha Saldanha, a nurse who was staffing the hospital's switchboard when the call came in, was found dead at an address close to the hospital just before 9.30am today.
Saldhanha took the phone call on Wednesday from two Australian DJs, Mel Greig and Michael Christian, who were pretending to be the Queen and Prince Philip asking after Kate's condition.
"And the result of this prank is the death of the person taking the call. These two should now resign or if not then sacked by Monday," reads one comment.
"Shame on you both - should be struck off," reads another.
"Well done you now have the death of an innocent woman on your hands are you laughing now you stupid a*s h*les you play with others' lives just for a laugh," says a third.
"Childish, stupid and cruel. You should be ashamed of yourselves," a user called Eels says. "Regardless of the identity of the mother, a lady should have her privacy respected. It wasn't funny and I hope the station has the guts and the decency to fire you both. Are you still laughing now?"
"Happy? Your families must be so proud of you for pulling this one - you never will understand the full results of your actions - but you both are responsible to some point for the death of a woman who was just supporting her family and doing her job," user mickey5432 says.
"This radio station should be disgusted. The presenters and producer should be put in a room with the nurse's family," reads another one.
Greig said shortly after the broadcast of the stunt: "This is by far the best prank I've ever been involved in ... it seemed so far-fetched to us but it actually worked. It's definitely a career highlight."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen