Stock index futures fall, focus on jobs data
December 7, 2012 8:14 PM EST
Stock index futures pointed to a lower open on Wall Street on Friday, with futures for the S&P 500, the Dow Jones and the Nasdaq 100 falling 0.1 to 0.2 percent.
U.S. non-farm employment, due at 8.30 a.m. EST, is forecast to have risen by 93,000 jobs last month after gaining 171,000 in October, according to a Reuters survey. The unemployment rate is seen holding steady at 7.9 percent.
Superstorm Sandy likely put a dent in U.S. jobs growth in November, temporarily interrupting a recently established trend of modestly rising payrolls.
Amarin Corporation was down 18.4 percent in late trading on Thursday after the bio-pharmaceutical company said it raised $100 million in non-equity financing that will help it form a sales force to launch its heart drug Vascepa, but disappointed investors hoping for a sale or partnership.
Smith & Wesson Holding Corp
Brent crude steadied above $107 per barrel, but prices were headed for their biggest weekly loss in more than a month on worries about the euro zone economy and a looming fiscal crisis in the United States, the world's top oil consumer.
European shares <.FTEU3> were down 0.2 percent, pressured by lower German and Italian shares, after Germany's central bank cut its growth outlook for Europe's largest economy next year, and on political uncertainty in Italy.
U.S. stocks closed modestly higher on Thursday, a day ahead of the key monthly jobs report, as a rebound in shares of Apple helped boost technology shares.
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> rose 39.55 points, or 0.30 percent, to 13,074.04 at the close. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index <.SPX> added 4.66 points, or 0.33 percent, to 1,413.94. The Nasdaq Composite Index <.IXIC> gained 15.57 points, or 0.52 percent, to close at 2,989.27.
(Reporting by Atul Prakash)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date