CM10.1 custom ROM based on Android
4.2.1 released for Nexus 7.
An unofficial build of CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1) has been released, by XDA member ratcav and CM developers, for the Nexus 7. The ROM brings the Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) software update for the tablet. Developer notes indicate all features are working but also warns users of possible bugs, since the ROM is still under development.
Nexus 7 users looking to update to this ROM may follow this tutorial. IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be held liable for any damage to the device during installation. Before proceeding, check to see if following requirements are satisfied.
- Ensure appropriate USB drivers are downloaded and enable USB debugging mode
- Ensure bootloader is unlocked
- Ensure device is rooted and has ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery installed (to do so, follow this tutorial)
- Ensure back-up of all important data
- Ensure battery has at least 80 percent charge
To Install CM10.1 Android 4.2.1 on Google Nexus 7
- Download CM10.1 Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) ROM (Find alternate link here)
- Download Google apps package
- Connect device to computer with USB cable and copy downloaded files to SD card, without extracting contents
- Disconnect device and switch it off
- Re-start in CWM Recovery (to do so, press Volume Up, Down and Power buttons until screen turns on; try alternate mode here
- Perform Nandroid backup of existing ROM (to do so, select Backup and Restore > Backup and return to Recovery menu after backup is completed)
- Perform a data wipe by selecting Wipe Data/Factory Reset > Yes and return to Recovery menu after wipe is completed
- Press Power button to select Install Zip from SD Card and then select Choose Zip from SD Card
- Navigate to copied ROM file, select and begin installation
- After installation, repeat above two steps to select and install Google Apps package
- After installation, return to main Recovery menu and select Reboot System Now (first boot will take some time)
- Note: To restore previous ROM, boot into Recovery, select Backup and Restore > Restore and slect firmware from list
The CM10.1 custom ROM, based on Android 4.2.1, is now installed and running on the Google Nexus 7. Browse to Settings > About Tablet to verify software version.
[Source: Android Jinn]
To contact the editor, e-mail: