Japan Tsunami Hits Coast after Earthquake Shakes Miyagi Prefecture [VIDEO]
By Gianluca Mezzofiore | December 7, 2012 7:43 PM EST
A strong earthquake has shaken north-eastern Japan prompting a tsunami warning for the Miyagi coastal area.
NHK state television reported that a 1-metre high tsunami has hit Ishinomaki, in the Miyagi prefecture.
The earthquake had a preliminary magnitude of 7.3, the U.S. Geological Survey said. That was revised from an earlier estimate of 7.4, Reuters reported.
The epicentre was 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) beneath the seabed.
Buildings in Tokyo swayed for at least several minutes, according to local reports.
Tokyo electric said no irregularities were seen in radiation levels at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant after the quake.
The Miyagi prefecture was hit by a devastating earthquake and tsunami on 11 March 2011, which had a magnitude of 9.03. The epicentre was 70 kilometres (43 miles) east of the Oshika Peninsula of Tōhoku region.
However, the Pacific tsunami warning centre said this time there is no risk of widespread tsunami.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Eurozone Indicators Forewarn Imminent Recession: Germany's Manufacturing Sector Slows
- Prince Charles to Reshape Monarchy When He Becomes King – Report
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- China Is Building An Island In The Spratly Islands—Report
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide