Australia Launches First Hybrid Engine Plant Facility in Melbourne
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 7, 2012 3:36 PM EST
The $330-million engine plant will produce 108,000 four cylinder 2.5 litre engines annually for its locally built Camry and Camry Hybrid sedans, of which 15 per cent will be hybrid engines. Australia injected A$63 million to the new plant from its Green Car Innovation Fund.
The plant, according to Max Yasuda, Toyota Australia chief executive, is the first of its kind that is built outside Japan, making Australia one of only four countries able to manufacture the AR-series four-cylinder engines.
Moreover, the plant, built to replace the old one which was more than 30 years old, testifies to Toyota's commitment to maintain its presence in Australia, which it regards as a highly competitive, profitable and sustainable marketplace.
"An ongoing partnership between local car makers, the government and suppliers is fundamental for ensuring Australian industry can compete," Mr Yasuda said during the plant's inaugural on Thursday, as he noted that Toyota has committed to manufacturing cars in Australia until at least 2017.
"I am a true believer in local car making. We are working to create a new, stronger business that gives us a competitive advantage that is sustainable and profitable for the future."
Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard, who was also present during the launch, said the plant's operations will definitely translate to more available jobs.
"We are one of the few countries in the world with the capabilities and skills involved in the manufacture of cars from the design stage right through to the production stage," Ms Gillard said.
"Our auto industry is a crucible of new skills and new technologies."
Standard petrol engines will comprise 85 per cent of Altona, Melbourne plant's production, while the hybrid units will make up the remaining 15 per cent, once it goes full-scale production on January 14. It will churn out approximately 450 engines per day.
Toyota Australia will export 16,200 engines each year to Malaysia and Thailand. The remainder will be sold in domestic and export markets.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- West Africa Ebola Epidemic To Last 12-18 Months More
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- Air France Pilots’ Strike: Only 40% of Scheduled Wednesday Flights Will Operate
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet