Sensex Expected to Gain on Friday Amid FDI Vote Optimism
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 7, 2012 3:03 PM EST
India’s Sensex is expected to rise as investor sentiment is likely to turn positive on a day when the upper house of the Parliament will vote on the government's decision to allow foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail.
Investors are focusing on the crucial vote in the Rajya Sabha on whether to allow 51 percent foreign investment in the retail sector. The ruling coalition is hoping to get the majority with the Bahujan Samaj Party leader Mayawati saying on Thursday that her party will support the government on FDI vote.
On Friday, Japan's Nikkei Stock Average was up 0.16 percent, or 17.55 points, to 9560.39. Among major gainers were NTN Corp (12.12 percent), Sharp Corp (9.94 percent) and Pioneer Corp (4.19 percent).
Hong Kong's Hang Seng rose 0.50 percent, or 105.09 points, to 22359.97. Among major gainers were Li & Fung Ltd (1.89 percent) and Esprit Holdings Ltd (0.84 percent).
On Thursday, the U.S. stocks rose as market confidence was lifted amid hope that Congress will soon reach an agreement to avert the fiscal cliff and prevent the scheduled rise in tax rates and spending cuts from plunging the economy into recession early next year. Meanwhile, according to data released on Thursday by the U.S. Labor Dept, the weekly jobless claims report, which measures the number of individuals who filed for unemployment insurance for the first time, rose to 370,000 in the week ending Dec 1, down from 395,000 in the previous week. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.30 percent, the S&P 500 Index was up 0.33 percent and the Nasdaq Composite Index gained 0.52 percent.
European markets rose on Thursday tracking upbeat overnight cues from the U.S. London's FTSE 100 was up 9.34 points, Germany's DAX 30 index rose 79.99 points and France's CAC 40 gained 11.15 points.
On Thursday, Sensex rose 0.49 percent to 19,486.80 at the close. The overall market breadth was positive with 1601 advances against 1297 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index gained 0.73 percent to 7,075.92 and Smallcap Index advanced 0.46 percent to 7,453.77.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 22, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- BHP Billiton Goads Abbott Government to Also Repeal Mining Tax Law
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning July 23, 2014
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29