Sensex Expected to Gain on Friday Amid FDI Vote Optimism
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 7, 2012 3:03 PM EST
India’s Sensex is expected to rise as investor sentiment is likely to turn positive on a day when the upper house of the Parliament will vote on the government's decision to allow foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail.
Investors are focusing on the crucial vote in the Rajya Sabha on whether to allow 51 percent foreign investment in the retail sector. The ruling coalition is hoping to get the majority with the Bahujan Samaj Party leader Mayawati saying on Thursday that her party will support the government on FDI vote.
On Friday, Japan's Nikkei Stock Average was up 0.16 percent, or 17.55 points, to 9560.39. Among major gainers were NTN Corp (12.12 percent), Sharp Corp (9.94 percent) and Pioneer Corp (4.19 percent).
Hong Kong's Hang Seng rose 0.50 percent, or 105.09 points, to 22359.97. Among major gainers were Li & Fung Ltd (1.89 percent) and Esprit Holdings Ltd (0.84 percent).
On Thursday, the U.S. stocks rose as market confidence was lifted amid hope that Congress will soon reach an agreement to avert the fiscal cliff and prevent the scheduled rise in tax rates and spending cuts from plunging the economy into recession early next year. Meanwhile, according to data released on Thursday by the U.S. Labor Dept, the weekly jobless claims report, which measures the number of individuals who filed for unemployment insurance for the first time, rose to 370,000 in the week ending Dec 1, down from 395,000 in the previous week. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.30 percent, the S&P 500 Index was up 0.33 percent and the Nasdaq Composite Index gained 0.52 percent.
European markets rose on Thursday tracking upbeat overnight cues from the U.S. London's FTSE 100 was up 9.34 points, Germany's DAX 30 index rose 79.99 points and France's CAC 40 gained 11.15 points.
On Thursday, Sensex rose 0.49 percent to 19,486.80 at the close. The overall market breadth was positive with 1601 advances against 1297 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index gained 0.73 percent to 7,075.92 and Smallcap Index advanced 0.46 percent to 7,453.77.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones