Knicks' Kurt Thomas Takes Hilarious Heat On Twitter
By Connor Sheets | December 7, 2012 1:55 PM EST
Kurt Thomas, one of the least-flashy members of the Knicks' deep squad this year, trended on Twitter Thursday night at the start of the Knicks-Heat game in Miami.
Many casual NBA observers were likely surprised to see the aging Kurt Thomas take the floor at American Airlines Arena back in blue-and-orange, much less making buckets.
In fact Thomas, who started for Carmelo Anthony who was out with a hand laceration, was the Knicks' leading scorer early on the game. They were up 12-9 with 5:29 left in the first, but he was tops with four.
And as he was in the spotlight for that brief moment Thursday evening, Twitter exploded with good-natured ribbing about his age.
Kurt Thomas, who turned 40 on Oct. 4, has played for nine teams in his 17-year NBA career, and is back on a second stint with the Knicks.
And Twitter users were sure to remind us about that fact, generating jokes about his “experience” faster than one could keep up with scrolling through.
Some gems emerged in this burst of attention to a player with undeniable skill who is reaching the twilight of his lengthy basketball career.
Gotta love seeing 76-year-old Kurt Thomas still playing rugged, intelligent and effective basketball.”
But the gentle ribbing took a turn for the negative shortly after he missed an easy lay-up.
No matter how long his brush with recognition lasts, Kurt Thomas was back in the spotlight Thursday night.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On