Pope Benedict XVI Joins Twitter, Allegedly Posted Picture with God [PHOTO]
By Jenalyn Villamarin | December 7, 2012 1:50 PM EST
The Vatican announced to the public about Pope Benedict XVI's official Twitter account on Monday.
With his first join in a social networking site, Pope Benedict XVI allegedly posted a picture of himself relaxing with God on a yacht.
"Feelin real blessed today to be hangin out wit @therealHeavenlyFather today! Just gettin' some sun and sippin cocktails. #loveit," the Pope wrote on his Twitter account with more than 500,000 followers. According to The Onion, The picture was reportedly re-tweeted by famous stars such as Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars and Oprah Winfrey.
On a serious note, the Vatican's objective on the Pope's Twitter account is to raise the church's online profile. The Internet can also aid the Pope in avoiding problems as well as improving his preaching methods. Pope Benedict XVI's Twitter account, @Pontifex, drew almost 200,000 followers in the first hours after the Vatican's announcement. However, Pope Benedict XVI will not officially start posting Twitter messages until December 12. The Pope plans to respond to questions about faith submitted on Twitter through a special hashtag, #askpontifex, which was set up by the Vatican.
"For now, the pope's tweets will contain "pearls of wisdom" from his speeches," Archbishop Claudio Maria Celli, President of the Vatican department for communications, stated during Twitter feed announcement at a Vatican press conference.
"Nobody is going to be putting words into his mouth," Greg Burke, a former Fox News journalist who is now a senior Vatican adviser for communications confirmed since the 85-year-old Pope cannot type the Twitter messages himself. Burke further added that Pope Benedict XVI will personally approve the content of every Twitter message.
"All words will be the pope's words," Burke said.
"Twitter is an example of the "new market of ideas." The Church has to be there. We want to use any method to spread the message," Burke added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Jonah Hill Solemnises Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo's Wedding Ceremony
- Pope Estimates 1 in 50 Clergy are Paedophiles; AU Doubles the Number
- Pope Francis Vows to ‘Use the Stick Against the Paedophile Priests’
- World Cup 2014 Finals: Sourgraping Brazil Celebrates Defeat of Rival Argentina; ‘They Already Have the Pope, That’s Enough’
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales