Study Blames Tight Undies for 1/3 Drop in French Men’s Sperm Count
By Vittorio Hernandez | December 7, 2012 10:16 AM EST
A study by the Institute de Veille Sanitaire in France, released on Thursday, found that for the years 1989 through 2005, the sperm count in one millilitre of an average 35-year-old Frenchman dropped to 50 million from 74 million.
The 32 per cent decline in sperm count is attributed to various factors, including the wearing of tight underwear.
Joelle Le Moal, who led the research, based the team's findings on 26,000 semen samples from French males within the 16-year period. These samples were from men with infertile female partners, which reduces the risk that fertility problem is on the male side. It is also probably the largest studied sample size in the world.
The study, published in the Human Reproduction journal in Europe, also pointed to environmental pollution and lifestyle as other factors behind the declining male fertility among Frenchmen.
The 50 million average is slightly below the 55 million sperm per milliliter considered the threshold of sperm concentration likely to have influence on the time it takes for a woman to conceive. At 15 million, it is considered a threshold of infertility, according to World Health Organisation benchmark.
While the 50 million is still within the normal range, if the decline continues, French males are in danger of moving down to the infertile range, pointed out Grace Centola, president of the Society for Male Reproduction and Urology in Birmingham, Alabama.
Ms Centola said similar results were discovered in a study involving young sperm donors in Boston.
Besides the decline in sperm count, the same French study discovered an increase in number of abnormally shaped sperm, which is also a factor in fertility.
The study will likely revive the old debate among the preferred underwear of males - the brief or the boxer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Latest UFO Sighting Arizona: Couple See A Strange House That Appears Out Of Nowhere And Disappears, MUFON Report
- Astronomical Events October 2014: Blood-Red Total Lunar Eclipse, Solar Eclipse, Two Meteor Showers And Other Occurrences To Watch Out For
- Couple Who Paid Young Girls To Stomp Puppy To Death Gets Life Sentence
- Ebola Hits US: Things You Must Know About The Disease And How To Prevent It
- Latest UFO Sighting: Scottish Man Spots Glowing UFO During Live TV Coverage By BBC Of Hong Kong Protests [Watch Video]
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money