Study Blames Tight Undies for 1/3 Drop in French Men’s Sperm Count
By Vittorio Hernandez | December 7, 2012 10:16 AM EST
A study by the Institute de Veille Sanitaire in France, released on Thursday, found that for the years 1989 through 2005, the sperm count in one millilitre of an average 35-year-old Frenchman dropped to 50 million from 74 million.
The 32 per cent decline in sperm count is attributed to various factors, including the wearing of tight underwear.
Joelle Le Moal, who led the research, based the team's findings on 26,000 semen samples from French males within the 16-year period. These samples were from men with infertile female partners, which reduces the risk that fertility problem is on the male side. It is also probably the largest studied sample size in the world.
The study, published in the Human Reproduction journal in Europe, also pointed to environmental pollution and lifestyle as other factors behind the declining male fertility among Frenchmen.
The 50 million average is slightly below the 55 million sperm per milliliter considered the threshold of sperm concentration likely to have influence on the time it takes for a woman to conceive. At 15 million, it is considered a threshold of infertility, according to World Health Organisation benchmark.
While the 50 million is still within the normal range, if the decline continues, French males are in danger of moving down to the infertile range, pointed out Grace Centola, president of the Society for Male Reproduction and Urology in Birmingham, Alabama.
Ms Centola said similar results were discovered in a study involving young sperm donors in Boston.
Besides the decline in sperm count, the same French study discovered an increase in number of abnormally shaped sperm, which is also a factor in fertility.
The study will likely revive the old debate among the preferred underwear of males - the brief or the boxer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Luckiest Koala: Hit by a Car and Hung On To It From Maryborough to Gympie
- UK Converts Coal Plants Into Solar Cell Farms
- Health Experts Plead Action to Prevent Skin Cancer Epidemic in New Zealand
- A Wild Ride, Orbital Sex Mission: Satellite Carrying Russian Geckos Regains Control After Losing Contact
- Pheromone Parties are only for Hook Ups, Says Expert
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]