Greek police clash with youths over 2008 shooting
December 7, 2012 7:21 AM EST
Greek police fired tear gas at youths hurling petrol bombs and stones in Athens on Thursday after a peaceful march to mark the 2008 police killing of a teenager that sparked the country's worst riots in decades.
Hundreds of students, teachers and leftists held rallies in the capital and other major cities throughout the day, chanting "Cops, pigs, murderers!" and "These are Alexis's days!" in reference to 15-year-old Alexandros Grigoropoulos.
Clashes erupted in the evening after dozens of hooded youths broke off from a 1,000-strong march, throwing petrol bombs and stones at riot police in the Exarchia neighbourhood where Grigoropoulos was shot.
Six cars were set alight and at least 28 people were detained, police said.
Thousands of people took to the streets of the capital just hours after the shooting on December 6 2008, torching cars and smashing shop windows.
Fuelled by anger at unemployment and economic hardship, the riots lasted for weeks, turning central Athens into a virtual no-go area and helping topple the conservative government of Costas Karamanlis.
(Reporting by John Kolesidis; Writing by Karolina Tagaris; Editing by Andrew Roche)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected