Greek police clash with youths over 2008 shooting
December 7, 2012 7:21 AM EST
Greek police fired tear gas at youths hurling petrol bombs and stones in Athens on Thursday after a peaceful march to mark the 2008 police killing of a teenager that sparked the country's worst riots in decades.
Hundreds of students, teachers and leftists held rallies in the capital and other major cities throughout the day, chanting "Cops, pigs, murderers!" and "These are Alexis's days!" in reference to 15-year-old Alexandros Grigoropoulos.
Clashes erupted in the evening after dozens of hooded youths broke off from a 1,000-strong march, throwing petrol bombs and stones at riot police in the Exarchia neighbourhood where Grigoropoulos was shot.
Six cars were set alight and at least 28 people were detained, police said.
Thousands of people took to the streets of the capital just hours after the shooting on December 6 2008, torching cars and smashing shop windows.
Fuelled by anger at unemployment and economic hardship, the riots lasted for weeks, turning central Athens into a virtual no-go area and helping topple the conservative government of Costas Karamanlis.
(Reporting by John Kolesidis; Writing by Karolina Tagaris; Editing by Andrew Roche)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown