Ellen DeGeneres Targeted by One Million Moms, Group Wants JCPenney Spokeswoman Replaced After 'Offensive' Christmas Commercial [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 7, 2012 7:12 AM EST
Ellen DeGeneres stars in a JCPenney holiday commercial that features her standard quirky sense of humor, but activist group One Million Moms finds the ad offensive.
In the commercial, the comedian and talk show host meets with three of Santa's elves to ask them if they can make more toys for a JCPenney contest. She inavertedly ends up insulting the tiny little helpers with a barrage of groan-worthy puns, according to Today.
"I know this is no small feat," she says first. Trying to correct herself, she says, "Well, it's a big deal." She finally decided to end the conversation, saying, "Who wants a cookie?"
The commercial went viral Nov. 27, and One Million Moms has since petitioned JCPenney to replace DeGeneres as a spokeswoman.
"Since April, JCPenney has not aired Ellen DeGeneres in one of their commercials until now. A new JCP ad features Ellen and three elves. JCP has made their choice to offend a huge majority of their customers again. Christians must now vote with their wallets," the organization said in a statement published to its website Tuesday.
While the organization considers this a serious issue, viewers on YouTube felt strongly different.
"THIS IS SO OFFENSIVE -- Said nobody with a brain ever," one viewer commented.
“One Million Moms or as I call them a seething hot ball of bigotry, hate, intolerance and inequality,” said another. “There is nothing wrong with that ad.”
According to Raw Story, One Million Moms has a history of targeting DeGeneres. Earlier this year, the far-right, anti-LGBT group urged that she be fired as a JCPenney spokesperson because she was a lesbian.
DeGeneres addressed the issue on her talk show in February.
“For a group that calls themselves One Million Moms, they only have 40,000 members on their page. So, they are rounding to the nearest million, and I get that,” she joked.
“But I really want to thank everyone who is supporting me, and if you don’t know me very well, if you’re just watching for the first time or maybe you are just getting to know me, I want to be clear,” DeGeneres added. “Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you want to be treated and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for.
“Oh, also I believe in dance.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0