Andrew Wiggins Recruit Pitch: 'FSU Girls Are Hotter,' Florida State Cheerleaders Say [PHOTO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 7, 2012 4:46 AM EST
Florida State rolled out the red carpet for prospective high school recruit Andrew Wiggins, with the university’s cheerleaders and student body coming up with creative ways to lure the basketball player to Tallahassee.
A group of Florida State girls wore white t-shirts with black letters spelling out “WE WANT WIGGINS,” while FSU cheerleaders held signs such as “FSU HAS HOTTER GIRLS” and “Seminoles Hunt Wildcats,” a reference to the Kentucky Wildcats, who are also pursuing Wiggins.
While the girls did their part to entice Wiggins to choose the Seminoles, Yahoo Sports noted that the FSU basketball team didn’t hold up their end to the bargain.
Wiggins attended the Florida State basketball game against rival Florida, with the Gators routing the Seminoles 72-47 in Tallahassee.
The highly sought after recruit, a small forward out of Huntington, W.Va., is listed as the No. 1 high school basketball prospect in the nation on Rivals.com.
So far, Wiggins has offers from FSU and Kentucky, although it’s early in the recruiting process. Most college basketball observers expect Wiggins to make a decision this spring.
The small forward is also garnering interest from perennial college basketball superpowers Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, Ohio State and Syracuse, according to Rivals.com.
The treatment Wiggins has been receiving is warranted, according to ESPN NBA insider Chad Ford.
Of Wiggins, Ford said, “He'd be the No. 1 pick in 2013 if he were eligible ... hands down. Many scouts feel he's a once or twice a decade type prospect . Gonna be a lot of team [sic] jockeying for the No. 1 pick next year,” the ESPN insider wrote in a chat Wednesday with ESPN.com visitors.
FSU student Felicia Willis was among the Florida State girls who spelled out “WE WANT WIGGINS” in white t-shirts. She used the Twitter hashtags #wewantwiggs, #getwiggins, and #NoleNation in a bid to get the highly sought after recruit to commit to Tallahassee.
Willis also used her Twitter handle, @fdubski, to trash talk Kentucky and dissuade Wiggins from choosing Lexington.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales