Andrew Wiggins Recruit Pitch: 'FSU Girls Are Hotter,' Florida State Cheerleaders Say [PHOTO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 7, 2012 4:46 AM EST
Florida State rolled out the red carpet for prospective high school recruit Andrew Wiggins, with the university’s cheerleaders and student body coming up with creative ways to lure the basketball player to Tallahassee.
A group of Florida State girls wore white t-shirts with black letters spelling out “WE WANT WIGGINS,” while FSU cheerleaders held signs such as “FSU HAS HOTTER GIRLS” and “Seminoles Hunt Wildcats,” a reference to the Kentucky Wildcats, who are also pursuing Wiggins.
While the girls did their part to entice Wiggins to choose the Seminoles, Yahoo Sports noted that the FSU basketball team didn’t hold up their end to the bargain.
Wiggins attended the Florida State basketball game against rival Florida, with the Gators routing the Seminoles 72-47 in Tallahassee.
The highly sought after recruit, a small forward out of Huntington, W.Va., is listed as the No. 1 high school basketball prospect in the nation on Rivals.com.
So far, Wiggins has offers from FSU and Kentucky, although it’s early in the recruiting process. Most college basketball observers expect Wiggins to make a decision this spring.
The small forward is also garnering interest from perennial college basketball superpowers Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, Ohio State and Syracuse, according to Rivals.com.
The treatment Wiggins has been receiving is warranted, according to ESPN NBA insider Chad Ford.
Of Wiggins, Ford said, “He'd be the No. 1 pick in 2013 if he were eligible ... hands down. Many scouts feel he's a once or twice a decade type prospect . Gonna be a lot of team [sic] jockeying for the No. 1 pick next year,” the ESPN insider wrote in a chat Wednesday with ESPN.com visitors.
FSU student Felicia Willis was among the Florida State girls who spelled out “WE WANT WIGGINS” in white t-shirts. She used the Twitter hashtags #wewantwiggs, #getwiggins, and #NoleNation in a bid to get the highly sought after recruit to commit to Tallahassee.
Willis also used her Twitter handle, @fdubski, to trash talk Kentucky and dissuade Wiggins from choosing Lexington.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation