Jim DeMint Leaving Senate For Heritage Foundation
By Jeremy B. White | December 7, 2012 3:08 AM EST
Senator Jim DeMint, the Senate’s most prominent tea party patron, is reportedly leaving Congress for a position with the conservative Heritage Foundation.
The departure of the Republican would likely leave the balance of power in the Senate intact, given that he hails from staunchly conservative South Carolina. And it would allow him to influence the debate through the Heritage Foundation, a leading conservative voice with plenty of clout on Capitol Hill.
"This really gets my blood going again thinking about the possibilities,” Sen. DeMint told the Wall Street Journal. “This is the time to elevate the conservative cause.”
DeMint’s decision also underscores some of the fractures bedeviling the Republican Party as Congress and the White House negotiate over a solution to the fiscal cliff. Several conservative advocacy organizations quickly denounced a counteroffer from Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-O.H.) that would raise $800 billion in revenue through unspecified tax code changes.
Among those condemning the move: the Heritage Foundation’s sister organization Heritage Action for America and Sen. DeMint, who said Boehner’s plan capitulates to Obama’s agenda.
"Speaker Boehner's $800 billion tax hike will destroy American jobs and allow politicians in Washington to spend even more, while not reducing our $16 trillion debt by a single penny,” DeMint said in a statement on Tuesday.
South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley will be responsible for appointing someone to fill DeMint’s seat until a special election is held.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan