Jim DeMint Leaving Senate For Heritage Foundation
By Jeremy B. White | December 7, 2012 3:08 AM EST
Senator Jim DeMint, the Senate’s most prominent tea party patron, is reportedly leaving Congress for a position with the conservative Heritage Foundation.
The departure of the Republican would likely leave the balance of power in the Senate intact, given that he hails from staunchly conservative South Carolina. And it would allow him to influence the debate through the Heritage Foundation, a leading conservative voice with plenty of clout on Capitol Hill.
"This really gets my blood going again thinking about the possibilities,” Sen. DeMint told the Wall Street Journal. “This is the time to elevate the conservative cause.”
DeMint’s decision also underscores some of the fractures bedeviling the Republican Party as Congress and the White House negotiate over a solution to the fiscal cliff. Several conservative advocacy organizations quickly denounced a counteroffer from Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-O.H.) that would raise $800 billion in revenue through unspecified tax code changes.
Among those condemning the move: the Heritage Foundation’s sister organization Heritage Action for America and Sen. DeMint, who said Boehner’s plan capitulates to Obama’s agenda.
"Speaker Boehner's $800 billion tax hike will destroy American jobs and allow politicians in Washington to spend even more, while not reducing our $16 trillion debt by a single penny,” DeMint said in a statement on Tuesday.
South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley will be responsible for appointing someone to fill DeMint’s seat until a special election is held.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- MH17 Memorial: Australia Prepares for August 7 National Day of Mourning
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools