Russian Vice-PM Dmitry Rogozin Trades in BMW for a Tiger
By Umberto Bacchi | December 7, 2012 3:01 AM EST
Russian vice-prime minister Dmitry Rogozin has traded in his BMW for a Tiger troop carrier in a business booster for home-grown military vehicle manufacturers.
The Military Industrial Company has received an order for a customised version of its armoured GAZ-2330 Tiger from Dmitry Medvedev's No 2.
"I have long said that the Russian defence industry is capable of making good-quality non-defence goods," Rogozin, who is in charge of the defence industry, tweeted. He said Russians should turn their backs on foreign-made "trophy" models and buy domestic instead.
It is common for Russian owners of German cars to put a label in the rear of the vehicle window reading "War trophy" or "To Berlin" in reference to Russia's victory over Germany in World War II, Russia Today reported.
At $100,000 (£62,000) for the basic unarmoured version, the Tiger features telescopic shock absorbers, regulated-pressure tyres, independent torsion suspension and a powerful turbocharged engine that can propel the vehicle through water 1.3 metres (4ft) deep. Whether the vehicle, nicknamed the Russian Hummer, can cope with Moscow's traffic, however, is another matter.
Needled by some critics about the vehicle's cost, Rogozin said he would pay for it out of his own money even though he would be using the Tiger for official duties.
One Twitter follower praised him as a patriot and said: "He is a great example for all Russian officials."
President Valdimir Putin recently ordered a redesigned Soviet-era ZiL limousine, a favourite of former leaders such asLeonid Brezhnev and Mikhail Gorbachev, and ditched his Mercedes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales