Russian Vice-PM Dmitry Rogozin Trades in BMW for a Tiger
By Umberto Bacchi | December 7, 2012 3:01 AM EST
Russian vice-prime minister Dmitry Rogozin has traded in his BMW for a Tiger troop carrier in a business booster for home-grown military vehicle manufacturers.
The Military Industrial Company has received an order for a customised version of its armoured GAZ-2330 Tiger from Dmitry Medvedev's No 2.
"I have long said that the Russian defence industry is capable of making good-quality non-defence goods," Rogozin, who is in charge of the defence industry, tweeted. He said Russians should turn their backs on foreign-made "trophy" models and buy domestic instead.
It is common for Russian owners of German cars to put a label in the rear of the vehicle window reading "War trophy" or "To Berlin" in reference to Russia's victory over Germany in World War II, Russia Today reported.
At $100,000 (£62,000) for the basic unarmoured version, the Tiger features telescopic shock absorbers, regulated-pressure tyres, independent torsion suspension and a powerful turbocharged engine that can propel the vehicle through water 1.3 metres (4ft) deep. Whether the vehicle, nicknamed the Russian Hummer, can cope with Moscow's traffic, however, is another matter.
Needled by some critics about the vehicle's cost, Rogozin said he would pay for it out of his own money even though he would be using the Tiger for official duties.
One Twitter follower praised him as a patriot and said: "He is a great example for all Russian officials."
President Valdimir Putin recently ordered a redesigned Soviet-era ZiL limousine, a favourite of former leaders such asLeonid Brezhnev and Mikhail Gorbachev, and ditched his Mercedes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Canada’s Anti-Prostitution Law Soon: Critics Call it Draconian
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Selena Gomez Allegedly Back in Rehab, Hugs Nat Wolff the Night Justin Bieber & Orlando Bloom Made Headlines in Ibiza
- Girls Star Allison Williams to Play Titular Role in NBC's Peter Pan Live
- Kendall Jenner Forbids Sister Kim Kardashian from Attending her Fashion Shows, Considers her Presence a Hindrance - Reports
- Kendall Jenner Ignores Kim Kardashian Big Time, Tries to Befriend Beyonce - Reports
- Apple Mac Remains Strong Despite Challenging PC Market, iPhone Remains a Winner Through Q3 Price Points