Liverpool Striker Target Will Cost £18m – Report
By Vanessa Keller | December 7, 2012 2:38 AM EST
Liverpool will have to pay £18 million to land Darren Bent, according to reports, with the striker still being frozen out of Aston Villa as the club aim to recoup the funds they paid for him in the 2011 summer.
Bent has made just 11 appearances for Villa this season, and hasn't played in the league since October 27th as it looks abundantly clear that he will leave the club at their earliest convenience.
But with that in mind, Paul Lambert will not sell Bent on the cheap, with ESPN claiming that a price of £18 million is enough to get back at least the basic fee they paid Sunderland for the target man.
Liverpool are desperately in need of a striker as the club look to find more support up front for Luis Suarez.
Andy Carroll's departure on loan last deadline day has been well documented as a mistake on the side's part, with Brendan Rodgers unable to find a replacement striker before the clock struck 11pm.
With January fast approaching, Rodgers has continually insisted that he will be bringing in players to help with Liverpool's attacking line up, though he admits that a loan signing could be a possibility.
Metro were reporting that he might do just that in his pursuit of Bent, and bring the striker to Merseyside until the end of the season when the club have more cash to consider a permanent purchase.
QPR were also said to be interested in Bent, but Liverpool would be able to offer a squad which plans to challenge for a top four spot rather than fight their way out of the relegation battle.
A source told ESPN: "Villa would be willing to sell, but they are not prepared to do any kind of cheap deal."
They added: "The figure they have in mind is the £18 million they paid for the player."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS