Grant Weighs In On Benitez Debate
By Vanessa Keller | December 6, 2012 9:29 PM EST
Avram Grant says Chelsea fans must offer Rafa Benitez support, as the new Blues manager continues to fight off booing since taking charge two weeks ago.
Benitez has long brought hatred in Chelsea fans after his long standing rivalry with them as Liverpool manager, having made some particular comments against the supporters while the sides were competing for silverware.
And now, as he takes over a club struggling with league form and having been knocked out of the Champions League in the group stages, fans have made their feelings clear over his appointment, holding signs up calling for Benitez to be sacked only weeks into the job.
It was rumoured that Grant, who has managed Chelsea before in the Roman Abramovich era, would come in as an advisor to Benitez, but the currently out-of-work manager says that the fans need to start standing alongside Benitez rather than fighting against him.
"The most important thing for them is that they have a manager who needs supporting," Grant told BBC Sport.
Chelsea won their first match under Benitez last night, thrashing Nordsjaelland 6-1. But it wasn't enough to get through to the knock out stages of the Champions League, with the side now the first in history to win the tournament and go out in the group stages in the next season.
But positives could still be taken from the match, with Fernando Torres finding the back of the net twice. Though he was up against a weaker defence than many sides in the Premier League could offer, the brace will serve as an important confidence boost for the Spanish striker who starred under Benitez at Liverpool.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015