Grant Weighs In On Benitez Debate
By Vanessa Keller | December 6, 2012 9:29 PM EST
Avram Grant says Chelsea fans must offer Rafa Benitez support, as the new Blues manager continues to fight off booing since taking charge two weeks ago.
Benitez has long brought hatred in Chelsea fans after his long standing rivalry with them as Liverpool manager, having made some particular comments against the supporters while the sides were competing for silverware.
And now, as he takes over a club struggling with league form and having been knocked out of the Champions League in the group stages, fans have made their feelings clear over his appointment, holding signs up calling for Benitez to be sacked only weeks into the job.
It was rumoured that Grant, who has managed Chelsea before in the Roman Abramovich era, would come in as an advisor to Benitez, but the currently out-of-work manager says that the fans need to start standing alongside Benitez rather than fighting against him.
"The most important thing for them is that they have a manager who needs supporting," Grant told BBC Sport.
Chelsea won their first match under Benitez last night, thrashing Nordsjaelland 6-1. But it wasn't enough to get through to the knock out stages of the Champions League, with the side now the first in history to win the tournament and go out in the group stages in the next season.
But positives could still be taken from the match, with Fernando Torres finding the back of the net twice. Though he was up against a weaker defence than many sides in the Premier League could offer, the brace will serve as an important confidence boost for the Spanish striker who starred under Benitez at Liverpool.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29