Liverpool Ready to Resurrect Their Interest in Japanese Playmaker – Report
By Adrian Back | December 6, 2012 9:16 PM EST
Liverpool could be ready to reignite their interest in Keisuke Honda after learning that the midfielder is ready to quit Russian club CSKA Moscow.
The Japan international has been consistently linked with a move away from the Russian league having caught the eye with his performances at the 2010 World Cup where he scored against Denmark and Cameroon.
Despite interest after the tournament in South Africa, Honda remained at CSKA Moscow and has continued to impress, especially this season where he has already scored six goals in his 14 league appearances.
According to reports in Italy, the news that Honda is ready to leave CSKA has alerted both Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund.
Liverpool have repeatedly been linked with the attacking midfielder but there has never been an official offer from the club, while Dortmund were linked with Honda in the summer after selling his international team-mate Shinji Kagawa to Manchester United.
Reds boss Brendan Rodgers has admitted that he needs more from his midfielders as Nuri Sahin and Steven Gerrard are the only two players to score a Premier League goal this season.
"Steven was outstanding last night [in the 2-1 defeat to Tottenham last Wednesday]. He's carried this club for nearly 13 years and it's about time there was more than Steven picking up the baton of responsibility," said the Liverpool manager.
"There are others that we want to step up to the plate and get the goals. Across the board we want to improve and find the solutions."
Liverpool do not have a wealth of attacking options in midfield with Joe Cole seemingly on his way out of the club, while winger Stewart Downing has also been heavily linked with a possible return to Middlesbrough in January.
Talksport believes that Liverpool would have to compete with Dortmund if they want to land the 26-year-old, which could be difficult as the German side are the reigning Bundesliga champions and are in the knockout stages of the Champions League.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones