Liverpool Ready to Resurrect Their Interest in Japanese Playmaker – Report
By Adrian Back | December 6, 2012 9:16 PM EST
Liverpool could be ready to reignite their interest in Keisuke Honda after learning that the midfielder is ready to quit Russian club CSKA Moscow.
The Japan international has been consistently linked with a move away from the Russian league having caught the eye with his performances at the 2010 World Cup where he scored against Denmark and Cameroon.
Despite interest after the tournament in South Africa, Honda remained at CSKA Moscow and has continued to impress, especially this season where he has already scored six goals in his 14 league appearances.
According to reports in Italy, the news that Honda is ready to leave CSKA has alerted both Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund.
Liverpool have repeatedly been linked with the attacking midfielder but there has never been an official offer from the club, while Dortmund were linked with Honda in the summer after selling his international team-mate Shinji Kagawa to Manchester United.
Reds boss Brendan Rodgers has admitted that he needs more from his midfielders as Nuri Sahin and Steven Gerrard are the only two players to score a Premier League goal this season.
"Steven was outstanding last night [in the 2-1 defeat to Tottenham last Wednesday]. He's carried this club for nearly 13 years and it's about time there was more than Steven picking up the baton of responsibility," said the Liverpool manager.
"There are others that we want to step up to the plate and get the goals. Across the board we want to improve and find the solutions."
Liverpool do not have a wealth of attacking options in midfield with Joe Cole seemingly on his way out of the club, while winger Stewart Downing has also been heavily linked with a possible return to Middlesbrough in January.
Talksport believes that Liverpool would have to compete with Dortmund if they want to land the 26-year-old, which could be difficult as the German side are the reigning Bundesliga champions and are in the knockout stages of the Champions League.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WWE SummerSlam Results & Highlights: Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena, Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton
- Australian BASE Jumper Killed in French Alps
- Splint-Free Rafael Nadal in Intense Practice for US Open Campaign
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- US, Canada Labour Activists ‘Block the Boat for Gaza’ Succeed in Blocking Docking of Israeli Ship in California Port
- 4 Killer Android Features Apple Fans Would Love to Get Come the iPhone 6 Release Date
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Larger 5.5inch iPhone 6 Variant Will Roll Out in the Market as ‘iPhone 6L’
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff