Liverpool Ready to Resurrect Their Interest in Japanese Playmaker – Report
By Adrian Back | December 6, 2012 9:16 PM EST
Liverpool could be ready to reignite their interest in Keisuke Honda after learning that the midfielder is ready to quit Russian club CSKA Moscow.
The Japan international has been consistently linked with a move away from the Russian league having caught the eye with his performances at the 2010 World Cup where he scored against Denmark and Cameroon.
Despite interest after the tournament in South Africa, Honda remained at CSKA Moscow and has continued to impress, especially this season where he has already scored six goals in his 14 league appearances.
According to reports in Italy, the news that Honda is ready to leave CSKA has alerted both Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund.
Liverpool have repeatedly been linked with the attacking midfielder but there has never been an official offer from the club, while Dortmund were linked with Honda in the summer after selling his international team-mate Shinji Kagawa to Manchester United.
Reds boss Brendan Rodgers has admitted that he needs more from his midfielders as Nuri Sahin and Steven Gerrard are the only two players to score a Premier League goal this season.
"Steven was outstanding last night [in the 2-1 defeat to Tottenham last Wednesday]. He's carried this club for nearly 13 years and it's about time there was more than Steven picking up the baton of responsibility," said the Liverpool manager.
"There are others that we want to step up to the plate and get the goals. Across the board we want to improve and find the solutions."
Liverpool do not have a wealth of attacking options in midfield with Joe Cole seemingly on his way out of the club, while winger Stewart Downing has also been heavily linked with a possible return to Middlesbrough in January.
Talksport believes that Liverpool would have to compete with Dortmund if they want to land the 26-year-old, which could be difficult as the German side are the reigning Bundesliga champions and are in the knockout stages of the Champions League.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones