2012 Mayan Doomsday Countdown: Bugarach Town of France, Safe Refuge from Impending Mayan Apocalypse?
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 6, 2012 5:58 PM EST
Much has been said and discussed about the impending end of the world Mayan apocalypse on December 21, four days short of Christmas Day. But it seems there is one place on Earth, the town of Bugarach in France, which can offer refuge when that catastrophic day does incur.
The bad news is - the town will be sealed to the outside world right smack on dooms day.
According to an article by Time Magazine, the 179-man population of Bugarach, located south-west of France, is the only place on the whole of planet Earth that will be spared on December 21 from the impending onslaught of Armageddon's end of the world prediction contained in the Mayan apocalypse.
But why specifically Bugarach?
"It was grabbed on to because this is a place where there's nothing, so you can easily project your fantasies on to it. It's like filling a balloon with air," Nicolas D'Estienne d'Orves, a French novelist, who released a book on Bugarach titled The Village of the End of the World, said. he admitted though that it had been extremely "impossible" to get to the bottom of the Mayan Bugarach rumor.
But Jean-Pierre Delord, the town's mayor, believed Bugarach's association to the Mayan apocalypse predictions lies on the town's mountain.
"It's all about the mountain," Mr Delord said, referring to the 4,300-foot tall Pic de Bugarach. The mountain had been attributed to a lot of UFO-sighting stories, while some say the mountain holds an alien garage as it emits strange gurgling sounds, presumed to be extraterrestrials waiting to be unleashed on December 21.
As far as two years ago, Mr Delord had mapped plans to maintain the peace and order of his area, including placing special security measures to protect Bugarach from the expected influx of news agencies, esoteric outsiders and even Doomsday fanatics.
The mayor had also ordered that Bugarach will be closed to tourists four days prior to December 21, even as local press had reported the people of Bugarach had cashed in on the hype. According to The Telegraph, one enterprising landowner saw great financial opportunity by offering out his four-bedroom house, situated on the slopes ofBugarach, for rent for 1500 euros a night. There's also an open field for campers, cheaper at 400 euros.
"I possess a rare asset, the land of immortality," the owner was quoted as saying in La Depeche du Midi.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers