Shocking Murder Case in Russia Involves Cannibalism? 10 Things to Know
By Arlene Paredes | December 6, 2012 5:57 PM EST
Two Russian fishermen are being investigated with regards to the murder of another fisherman. The investigators suspect a fisherman was a victim of violence and cannibalism.
The two fishermen were rescued after being lost for three months in a remote Far East forest. Here is a look back to the roots of Russia's shocking murder case linked to cannibalism:
1. Four fishermen disappeared in August to one of the most inhospitable places in the world - the Yakutia region in the Russian Far East.
2. After about four months, rescuers found two of the men by the Sutam River, south of Yakutia. However, only two of the lost men were rescued.
3. The rescued men told rescuers their group had split up. The men were sent to a hospital to be treated for severe frostbite.
4. When an investigating team found human corpse fragments in Yakutia, the murder investigation was opened.
5. The investigators are from the regional capital Yakutsk. They found human remains in suspicious condition within the vicinity of the area where the two men were found.
6. A local report at lifenews.ru web site says the two men have fled the hospital and now at large.
7. The state RIA Novosti news broadcast told listeners the investigators would like to confirm or deny whether the two men had eaten one companion. But there were no updates yet on the fourth fisherman.
8. It is understood the investigators have yet to establish a solid case because the human remains have not been officially identified.
9. Criminal investigators are awaiting DNA and forensic testing results to confirm what happened to the victim.
10. A policeman was quoted by local paper Komsomolskaya Pravda the two rescued men did not seem suspicious upon first inspection. However, the rescuers later noticed something odd about them.
"(T)he whole night they just drank tea and ate pies and heated up corned beef. There was the impression there was something wrong with them," the police was quoted as saying, implying that the victims made an impression that they did not starve in the wild forest.
The rescued men, however, had earlier said they were used to living in the open. They also expressed hope that the two other men may still be alive.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports
- Iphone 6 Release Date Fast -Approaching, Reuse and Recycle Program Now in Australia