Australia's Unemployment Rates See Surprise Drop in November
By Prasanth Aby Thomas | December 6, 2012 4:39 PM EST
According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS), the unemployment rate dropped to 5.2 percent in the month from 5.4 percent in the previous. Economists had forecast the rate to touch 5.5 percent in November.
Analysts suggest that the improved rates indicate that the world's 12th largest economy remains stronger compared to other major developed nations.
"In terms of how we perceive ourselves the 5.2 per cent unemployment rate will bring home the fact that we're doing better than most other places," Hans Kunnen, Chief Economist at St George Banking Group, told the AAP.
However, the drop in jobless rate is due to an increase in part-time jobs. Full-time jobs dropped to 4,200 to 8,132,200 while part-time employment increased 18,100 to 3,414,200 in the month. Kunnen added that the "the mix of part-time and full-time takes some of the gloss off the figures".
The local dollar firmed on the news, rising to $1.0469 at 1:03 pm in Sydney, compared with $1.0447 before the data release.
The figures contrasted with a report from the Australia and New Zealand Banking group which showed that job ads slumped to the lowest rate in eight months in November, down 2.9 percent.
Australia's economy had slowed in the third quarter on weak consumer demand and stiff government spending controls. The GDP advanced 3.1 percent year-on-year in the quarter from a revised 3.8 percent in the second quarter.
Acknowledging the weak outlook, the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) had cut its interest rate by 25 basis points to 3 percent early this week. Analysts expect the central bank to refrain from further rate cuts, now that the labour market shows improvement. The RBA had said that it is expecting the unemployment rate to increase only "a little further" in the coming months.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'