Sensex Expected to Rise Thursday Post FDI Nod in Lok Sabha
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 6, 2012 3:09 PM EST
India's Sensex is expected to rise as investor sentiment is likely to turn positive a day after the lower house of Parliament voted in favour of foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail.
Market participants cheered as on Wednesday the motion that sought withdrawal of FDI in multi-brand retail was defeated in the Lok Sabha. The outcome of yesterday's proceedings is considered a major step to make sure more economic reform policies can be introduced by the government to revive the growth momentum.
On Thursday, Japan's Nikkei Stock Average was up 0.82 percent, or 76.01 points, to 9546.64. Among major gainers were NTN Corp (6.06 percent), Sharp Corp (3.31 percent) and Ebara Corp (2.80 percent).
Hong Kong's Hang Seng rose 0.07 percent, or 17.85 points, to 22285.51. Among major gainers were China Construction Bank Corp (3.41 percent) and Esprit Holdings Ltd (3.47 percent).
On Wednesday, US stocks were mixed as investor confidence was lifted amid hope that Congress will soon reach a deal to ward off the fiscal cliff. Market players were optimistic after President Barack Obama commented that a deal to avert fiscal cliff was possible in a week provided the Republicans are favouring tax raises on the wealthiest Americans. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.64 percent, the S&P 500 Index was up 0.16 percent and the Nasdaq Composite Index dropped 0.77 percent.
European markets rose Wednesday amid hopes that leaders in China will take up policy measures that will ensure the revival of growth momentum of the world's second largest economy. London's FTSE 100 was up 23.04 points, Germany's DAX 30 index rose 19.43 points and France's CAC 40 gained 10.02 points.
On Wednesday, Sensex rose 0.23 percent to 19,391.86 at the close. The overall market breadth was positive with 1695 advances against 1232 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index gained 0.46 percent to 7,024.71 and Smallcap Index advanced 0.52 percent to 7,419.82.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]