Sensex Expected to Rise Thursday Post FDI Nod in Lok Sabha
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 6, 2012 3:09 PM EST
India's Sensex is expected to rise as investor sentiment is likely to turn positive a day after the lower house of Parliament voted in favour of foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail.
Market participants cheered as on Wednesday the motion that sought withdrawal of FDI in multi-brand retail was defeated in the Lok Sabha. The outcome of yesterday's proceedings is considered a major step to make sure more economic reform policies can be introduced by the government to revive the growth momentum.
On Thursday, Japan's Nikkei Stock Average was up 0.82 percent, or 76.01 points, to 9546.64. Among major gainers were NTN Corp (6.06 percent), Sharp Corp (3.31 percent) and Ebara Corp (2.80 percent).
Hong Kong's Hang Seng rose 0.07 percent, or 17.85 points, to 22285.51. Among major gainers were China Construction Bank Corp (3.41 percent) and Esprit Holdings Ltd (3.47 percent).
On Wednesday, US stocks were mixed as investor confidence was lifted amid hope that Congress will soon reach a deal to ward off the fiscal cliff. Market players were optimistic after President Barack Obama commented that a deal to avert fiscal cliff was possible in a week provided the Republicans are favouring tax raises on the wealthiest Americans. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.64 percent, the S&P 500 Index was up 0.16 percent and the Nasdaq Composite Index dropped 0.77 percent.
European markets rose Wednesday amid hopes that leaders in China will take up policy measures that will ensure the revival of growth momentum of the world's second largest economy. London's FTSE 100 was up 23.04 points, Germany's DAX 30 index rose 19.43 points and France's CAC 40 gained 10.02 points.
On Wednesday, Sensex rose 0.23 percent to 19,391.86 at the close. The overall market breadth was positive with 1695 advances against 1232 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index gained 0.46 percent to 7,024.71 and Smallcap Index advanced 0.52 percent to 7,419.82.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 29, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 29, 2014
- Environment Ministry OKs $2.2B North Galilee Basin Rail Project On 23 Conditions
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 30, 2014
- Global Markets Overview – September 29, 2014
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate