Sensex Expected to Rise Thursday Post FDI Nod in Lok Sabha
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 6, 2012 3:09 PM EST
India's Sensex is expected to rise as investor sentiment is likely to turn positive a day after the lower house of Parliament voted in favour of foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail.
Market participants cheered as on Wednesday the motion that sought withdrawal of FDI in multi-brand retail was defeated in the Lok Sabha. The outcome of yesterday's proceedings is considered a major step to make sure more economic reform policies can be introduced by the government to revive the growth momentum.
On Thursday, Japan's Nikkei Stock Average was up 0.82 percent, or 76.01 points, to 9546.64. Among major gainers were NTN Corp (6.06 percent), Sharp Corp (3.31 percent) and Ebara Corp (2.80 percent).
Hong Kong's Hang Seng rose 0.07 percent, or 17.85 points, to 22285.51. Among major gainers were China Construction Bank Corp (3.41 percent) and Esprit Holdings Ltd (3.47 percent).
On Wednesday, US stocks were mixed as investor confidence was lifted amid hope that Congress will soon reach a deal to ward off the fiscal cliff. Market players were optimistic after President Barack Obama commented that a deal to avert fiscal cliff was possible in a week provided the Republicans are favouring tax raises on the wealthiest Americans. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.64 percent, the S&P 500 Index was up 0.16 percent and the Nasdaq Composite Index dropped 0.77 percent.
European markets rose Wednesday amid hopes that leaders in China will take up policy measures that will ensure the revival of growth momentum of the world's second largest economy. London's FTSE 100 was up 23.04 points, Germany's DAX 30 index rose 19.43 points and France's CAC 40 gained 10.02 points.
On Wednesday, Sensex rose 0.23 percent to 19,391.86 at the close. The overall market breadth was positive with 1695 advances against 1232 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index gained 0.46 percent to 7,024.71 and Smallcap Index advanced 0.52 percent to 7,419.82.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Unidentified Benefactor Offers $30M Reward For Identity Of MH 17 Bombers; MAS Criticises Kiwi Author For Suggesting MH 370 Pilot Plotted Death Of Passengers & Crew
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 18, 2014
- Financial Intelligence Agency Suspends Sydney Remittance Firm Over Suspicions It Is Used To Finance Terrorism In Middle East
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 18, 2014
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best