ACCC Australia Introduces Receipts App in Time for Holidays
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 6, 2012 3:02 PM EST
With Christmas Day only two weeks away, all the hype that goes with the season, including retailer selling and shopping, are expected to go all the more excitedly grueling in the coming days. And as Australians try to find that perfect gift either for one's self or for friends and loved ones, they may be too busy to notice purchased items void of receipts.
Australia's consumer watchdog, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), has released just in time for this merry Christmas season of 2012 an app that will help consumers get immediate access to item refunds, as well as get orientated with lay-bys and warranties.
Called ACCCShopper, the app is generally a handy pocket guide educating shoppers on Australia's consumer law. It can be used for both Apple's iOS and Android operating systems.
ACCCShopper's most important or helpful feature is that it allows users to keep photos of their receipts on their smartphone or tablet as proof of purchase at the point of sale. This is most essential since retailers such as Big W, Target and K-Mart, accept photos of purchase receipt as proof, according to the ACCC.
"Simple disputes over returns, refunds or replacements often leave shoppers bewildered and confused about their rights. The ACCC Shopper app will help take the worry out of Christmas shopping," Delia Rickard, ACCC Deputy Chair, said.
Currently available for download on the Google Play store and Apple's app store, the ACCCShopper works across both tablets and smartphones.
The app also carries a 'My Items' feature which upon user input, reminds the consumer shopper deadlines for lay-bys as well as expiry dates for warranties and gift vouchers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- U.S. Flights to Israel Now Lifted, Flights To and From Tel Aviv Resume – FAA
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand Raises Interest Rates Due to 'Unsustainable' Kiwi
- Embattled Malaysia Airlines Could Run Out of Cash 2015; Diverts Plane Over Another War Zone After MH17 Crash
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales