ACCC Australia Introduces Receipts App in Time for Holidays
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 6, 2012 3:02 PM EST
With Christmas Day only two weeks away, all the hype that goes with the season, including retailer selling and shopping, are expected to go all the more excitedly grueling in the coming days. And as Australians try to find that perfect gift either for one's self or for friends and loved ones, they may be too busy to notice purchased items void of receipts.
Australia's consumer watchdog, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), has released just in time for this merry Christmas season of 2012 an app that will help consumers get immediate access to item refunds, as well as get orientated with lay-bys and warranties.
Called ACCCShopper, the app is generally a handy pocket guide educating shoppers on Australia's consumer law. It can be used for both Apple's iOS and Android operating systems.
ACCCShopper's most important or helpful feature is that it allows users to keep photos of their receipts on their smartphone or tablet as proof of purchase at the point of sale. This is most essential since retailers such as Big W, Target and K-Mart, accept photos of purchase receipt as proof, according to the ACCC.
"Simple disputes over returns, refunds or replacements often leave shoppers bewildered and confused about their rights. The ACCC Shopper app will help take the worry out of Christmas shopping," Delia Rickard, ACCC Deputy Chair, said.
Currently available for download on the Google Play store and Apple's app store, the ACCCShopper works across both tablets and smartphones.
The app also carries a 'My Items' feature which upon user input, reminds the consumer shopper deadlines for lay-bys as well as expiry dates for warranties and gift vouchers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Australia Ranks 11th In World Ultra Wealth Report As 175 Aussies Amass $440B In 2013