Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 12/6/2012
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | December 6, 2012 1:32 PM EST
Despite positive moves from blue chip stocks on Wall Street overnight, the Australian share market is trading in the red at lunchtime in the East. The All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is down 3.2pts or 0.1pct to 4524pts.
A positive read on the economic front today, with 13,900 jobs created in the Australian economy in November. This was above expectations of jobs growth of 10,000 and has seen the unemployment rate fall to 5.2pct.
The embattled Ten Network (TEN) is holding its Annual General Meeting (AGM) today. The company, which has announced a $230 million capital raising, has also flagged a further $35 million of cost cutting measures as it attempts to reverse its fortunes. Directors will also suffer a 10pct pay cut in FY 2013. Major shareholder Gina Rinehart has been applauded as she turned up late to the AGM, after being stuck in Sydney traffic. Ms Rinehart reportedly has a poor track record of turning up personally to AGMs. Ten´s annual report showed Mrs Rinehart, who holds 10pct of TEN stock, attended eight of the company´s 14 board meetings during fiscal 2012. The billionaire sent alternates to the other six meetings. TEN shares remain in a trading halt at 32.5c as the company attempts to tap the market for the capital raising.
Financial shares remain mixed with shares in the Commonwealth Bank (CBA) dn 0.7pct to $60.63 and the National Australia Bank (NAB) down 0.4pct to $24.41.
The Australian dollar is buying US104.73c, £0.6508 and €80.24c.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 17, 2014
- Financial Intelligence Agency Suspends Sydney Remittance Firm Over Suspicions It Is Used To Finance Terrorism In Middle East
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 17, 2014
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone