Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 12/6/2012
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | December 6, 2012 1:32 PM EST
Despite positive moves from blue chip stocks on Wall Street overnight, the Australian share market is trading in the red at lunchtime in the East. The All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is down 3.2pts or 0.1pct to 4524pts.
A positive read on the economic front today, with 13,900 jobs created in the Australian economy in November. This was above expectations of jobs growth of 10,000 and has seen the unemployment rate fall to 5.2pct.
The embattled Ten Network (TEN) is holding its Annual General Meeting (AGM) today. The company, which has announced a $230 million capital raising, has also flagged a further $35 million of cost cutting measures as it attempts to reverse its fortunes. Directors will also suffer a 10pct pay cut in FY 2013. Major shareholder Gina Rinehart has been applauded as she turned up late to the AGM, after being stuck in Sydney traffic. Ms Rinehart reportedly has a poor track record of turning up personally to AGMs. Ten´s annual report showed Mrs Rinehart, who holds 10pct of TEN stock, attended eight of the company´s 14 board meetings during fiscal 2012. The billionaire sent alternates to the other six meetings. TEN shares remain in a trading halt at 32.5c as the company attempts to tap the market for the capital raising.
Financial shares remain mixed with shares in the Commonwealth Bank (CBA) dn 0.7pct to $60.63 and the National Australia Bank (NAB) down 0.4pct to $24.41.
The Australian dollar is buying US104.73c, £0.6508 and €80.24c.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan