Magazine Readers Name Sydney Best Australian City
By Vittorio Hernandez | December 6, 2012 10:22 AM EST
Quay was recognised at the best restaurant, Opera Bar the best bar and BridgeClimb the best tour. All three are found in Sydney.
Rival city, Melbourne, 2011's winner, won only one category, the best luxury hotel for the Crown.
For rural Australia, the best town was Margaret River in Western Australia, which won for its great restaurants, wineries, art galleries and surf. WA's Kimberley region was awarded the country's dream destination and best adventure holiday destination.
With the award, Simon Ambrose, chief executive of the Augusta Margaret River Tourism Association, said the town expects a big increase in number of visitors in 2013.
"Consumer opinion is becoming a hugely popular source of reference when making travel plans . . . To have taken out this award is a huge achievement and we expect holidaymakers to flock to visit Australia's Best Town," Mr Ambrose said.
He cited the town's ancient limestone caves, karn forests, pristine secluded beaches, world-class wine and local gourmet produce as among the attractions that Margaret River offers to tourists.
The town beat competitors Broome and Byron Bay for the coveted title.
Queensland was the best state overall, garnering seven awards, including best winter destination, while its Gold Coast was best summer destination.
Australian Traveller editor Georgia Rickard said the victory of Sydney is an indicator of the city's cosmopolitan attractions that clearly draw in domestic travelers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 100% Tuition-Free – Why Germany Is The Envy Of University Students From Other Countries
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday October 1, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon October 2, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning, October 2, 2014
- Global Markets Overview – October 2, 2014
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money