Magazine Readers Name Sydney Best Australian City
By Vittorio Hernandez | December 6, 2012 10:22 AM EST
Quay was recognised at the best restaurant, Opera Bar the best bar and BridgeClimb the best tour. All three are found in Sydney.
Rival city, Melbourne, 2011's winner, won only one category, the best luxury hotel for the Crown.
For rural Australia, the best town was Margaret River in Western Australia, which won for its great restaurants, wineries, art galleries and surf. WA's Kimberley region was awarded the country's dream destination and best adventure holiday destination.
With the award, Simon Ambrose, chief executive of the Augusta Margaret River Tourism Association, said the town expects a big increase in number of visitors in 2013.
"Consumer opinion is becoming a hugely popular source of reference when making travel plans . . . To have taken out this award is a huge achievement and we expect holidaymakers to flock to visit Australia's Best Town," Mr Ambrose said.
He cited the town's ancient limestone caves, karn forests, pristine secluded beaches, world-class wine and local gourmet produce as among the attractions that Margaret River offers to tourists.
The town beat competitors Broome and Byron Bay for the coveted title.
Queensland was the best state overall, garnering seven awards, including best winter destination, while its Gold Coast was best summer destination.
Australian Traveller editor Georgia Rickard said the victory of Sydney is an indicator of the city's cosmopolitan attractions that clearly draw in domestic travelers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- El Pollo Loco Shareprice Up 33% on 1st Day of Trading
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- 93% of Mining Leaders See Extremely Low or Zero Growth Prospect for Industry in Next 1-2 Years; No Immediate Plans by BHP for Olympic Dam Expansion
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report