Pacquiao Vs. Marquez: Prediction, Betting Odds, Preview For The Dec. 8 Fight
December 6, 2012 10:09 AM EST
In three attempts, Juan Manuel Marquez has been unable to beat Manny Pacquiao. This weekend, the boxer will get one more chance to pick up his first win in this rivalry.
Pacquiao-Marquez IV is set for Saturday Dec. 8 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Coverage begins on HBO at 9 p.m. ET. Unlike each of the three previous bouts, this will not be a title fight.
Although Pacquiao has gone 2-0-1in the fighters’ three previous meetings, Marquez had a chance to win each bout. If it weren’t for the three knockdowns he suffered in the first round of their 2004 fight, Marquez might have defeated Pac-Man. Their rematch in 2008 resulted in a split decision, in which many, including Marquez, thought he should have been named the winner.
Pacquiao-Marquez III was also controversial, though Pacquiao won by majority decision.
Despite his previous failures, Marquez is confident entering Saturday. In 36 rounds, he has never been knocked out by his opponent, and he’s only been knocked down once in the last 35 rounds.
Even though he hasn’t been able to knock down Pacquiao, Marquez isn’t ruling out the possibility of delivering a knockout.
"Do I need to knockout Pacquiao to get the win?” Marquez said in an interview with ESPN. “Well, I will certainly try. I also know that while knocking out a fighter like Pacquiao won't be easy, it's not impossible either.”
Pacquiao hasn’t been knocked out of a fight since 1999.
The last fight Pacquiao participated in may have been the most controversial of his 16-year career. He was defeated by Timothy Bradley in a split decision, although many felt he should have won the fight unanimously. Five WBO Championship Committee judges later admitted that Pacquiao should have been named the winner, though the actual decision was never overturned.
The previous matches between the two boxers have come in all different weight classes. This time around, Pacquiao and Marquez will face off in a welterweight bout. Doing so should benefit Pacquiao, who’s had success moving up in weight classes. The same can’t be said for Marquez, who has struggled in the weight class, losing decisively to both Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather.
Both fighters have had long, storied careers with 54 wins apiece. If the first three bouts between these two are any indication, this should be a very competitive fight.
Betting Odds: Pacquiao-350, Marquez+275
Prediction: Marquez has come close to defeating Pacquiao in the past, and has proven he can go the distance with Pac-Man. Pacquiao, though, matches up well with his opponent.
He’s one of the best combination punchers around, something that Marquez has been known to have trouble with. Fighting as a welterweight also gives the favorite an advantage. It should be competitive, but Pacquiao will likely remain undefeated in this rivalry.
Pacquiao OVER Marquez, by a majority decision
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015