VIDEO Celtic 2-1 Spartak Moscow: Highlights; Hoops Move Into Champions League Last 16
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 6, 2012 9:37 AM EST
On a memorable night in Glasgow, Celtic claimed a place in the Champions League knockout stages courtesy of a 2-1 victory over Spartak Moscow at Celtic Park. Kris Commons’ late penalty saw Celtic just do enough to complete their end of the bargain, while Benfica’s failure to beat Barcelona in the Camp Nou was sufficient for Neil Lennon’s men to finish second in Group G.
For a long time it appeared that the Hoops would falter with qualification within their grasp as the out of form Russian side equalized Gary Hooper’s strike through Ari before half time. But Commons’ spot kick means that Celtic will get to test themselves against one of Europe’s elite over two legs in the next round.
Having amassed 10 points, including a victory over Barcelona last month, it would be difficult to suggest that the Scottish champions do not warrant their place.
Lennon must have hoped that his side would give him a less stressful evening than it eventually proved as Hooper struck in the 21st minute. Georgios Samaras tried to find his striking partner with a searching ball forward that Spartak defender Juan Insaurralde should have cleared comfortably but missed his kick allowing Hooper to run onto it and strike low first time past Sergey Pesjakov from the edge of the box.
It was not to be a comfortable night for anyone involved with Celtic, though, and Spartak, on a run of three straight defeats, struck back six minutes before half time. The ball was moved from left to right and Emmanuel Emenike found Ari down the right of the box, with the Brazilian forward producing a sumptuous chip from the angle over Fraser Forster and past the despairing attempted to clearance by the retreating Kelvin Wilson.
The scores remained level until Celtic were awarded a debatable penalty with just under 10 minutes remaining. Going nowhere near the byline, Samaras tumbled enthusiastically under the clumsy challenge of Marek Suchy. It was certainly soft, but few Celtic fans will care about that as they celebrate long into the evening courtesy of Commons’ composure to smash the ball high down the middle and into the net.
Celtic vs Spartak Moscow 2:1 GOALS HIGHLIGHTS by UCL2410
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga