Barack Obama Told 'Build Star Wars Death Star' by US Voters
By Dominic Gover | December 6, 2012 3:29 AM EST
Americans are signing up in their droves to make US President Barack Obama build a killer Death Star spaceship.
A petition on the White House website is demanding the government splashes out on a version of the planet-sized spacecraft from the iconic Star Wars films.
Almost 4,000 people have signed up. Only 21,000 more are needed for the president to be forced to consider the project officially and issue a formal response.
In Star Wars, Dark Lord Darth Vader travels through space in the Death Star to blow up a peaceful planet using its super-powerful lasers.
The petition creator, known only as John D, said a similar craft was needed to boost national security and create jobs.
The petition reads: "By focusing our defence resources into a space superiority platform and weapon system such as a Death Star, the government can spur job creation in the fields of construction, engineering, space exploration and more, and strengthen our national defence."
Critics might fear the bar for success has been set rather too low by lawmakers in Washington, with the petition threshold. It means politicians may soon need to begin weighing the pros and cons of building the gigantic craft capable of changing the face of diplomatic relations forever.
Should the idea find favour with the White House, it would constitute the biggest Keynesian economic gamble of all time.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Report Claims China & Taiwan Sell Human Meat
- Sex with the Dead: Ohio Man Admits Doing it with 100 Corpses
- Princess Diana's Gravesite Algae-Infested, Earl Spencer Reportedly To Blame
- Ebola Virus: NZ Health Officials Given 'Powers' to Stop Ships, Planes from Entering Border
- Canadian Rapist, Convicted for Killing 2-Year-Old Girl, Murdered in Prison
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015