Barack Obama Told 'Build Star Wars Death Star' by US Voters
By Dominic Gover | December 6, 2012 3:29 AM EST
Americans are signing up in their droves to make US President Barack Obama build a killer Death Star spaceship.
A petition on the White House website is demanding the government splashes out on a version of the planet-sized spacecraft from the iconic Star Wars films.
Almost 4,000 people have signed up. Only 21,000 more are needed for the president to be forced to consider the project officially and issue a formal response.
In Star Wars, Dark Lord Darth Vader travels through space in the Death Star to blow up a peaceful planet using its super-powerful lasers.
The petition creator, known only as John D, said a similar craft was needed to boost national security and create jobs.
The petition reads: "By focusing our defence resources into a space superiority platform and weapon system such as a Death Star, the government can spur job creation in the fields of construction, engineering, space exploration and more, and strengthen our national defence."
Critics might fear the bar for success has been set rather too low by lawmakers in Washington, with the petition threshold. It means politicians may soon need to begin weighing the pros and cons of building the gigantic craft capable of changing the face of diplomatic relations forever.
Should the idea find favour with the White House, it would constitute the biggest Keynesian economic gamble of all time.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde Attends Father’s Funeral Without Handcuffs, Brother Thanks TPB Founder’s Supporters on Facebook
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- British Teenager Wants Her Leg Cut To be Able To Compete At Paralympics – Watch Video
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?