Barack Obama Told 'Build Star Wars Death Star' by US Voters
By Dominic Gover | December 6, 2012 3:29 AM EST
Americans are signing up in their droves to make US President Barack Obama build a killer Death Star spaceship.
A petition on the White House website is demanding the government splashes out on a version of the planet-sized spacecraft from the iconic Star Wars films.
Almost 4,000 people have signed up. Only 21,000 more are needed for the president to be forced to consider the project officially and issue a formal response.
In Star Wars, Dark Lord Darth Vader travels through space in the Death Star to blow up a peaceful planet using its super-powerful lasers.
The petition creator, known only as John D, said a similar craft was needed to boost national security and create jobs.
The petition reads: "By focusing our defence resources into a space superiority platform and weapon system such as a Death Star, the government can spur job creation in the fields of construction, engineering, space exploration and more, and strengthen our national defence."
Critics might fear the bar for success has been set rather too low by lawmakers in Washington, with the petition threshold. It means politicians may soon need to begin weighing the pros and cons of building the gigantic craft capable of changing the face of diplomatic relations forever.
Should the idea find favour with the White House, it would constitute the biggest Keynesian economic gamble of all time.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon