Newcastle Plot January Bid for Southampton Captain – Report
By Adrian Back | December 5, 2012 11:09 PM EST
Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew is considering a raid on his former club Southampton for the highly-rated midfielder Adam Lallana.
The 24-year-old has been one of the stand out performers for Southampton in the Premier League as he appears to have thrived with the added pressure of the captaincy.
He has started all 15 Premier League games this season and has produced two goals and four assists as Southampton have struggled to adapt to life in the top flight, currently finding themselves third from bottom on 12 points.
Despite a difficult start for the club, Lallana has continued to demonstrate his ability and the Mirror believes that Newcastle will attempt to lure him away from the south coast with an offer in the region of £5million.
Southampton would certainly be under no pressure to allow their captain to leave as he signed a new four-year contract last season and is viewed as crucial in the fight for survival.
The Saints will also feel that his value will have increased after being rewarded for his good form with an international call-up. Lallana caught the eye of England manager Roy Hodgson and was a member of the squad for the World Cup qualifier against Ukraine back in September.
His continued rise will have come of no surprise to Pardew who managed the attacking midfielder during his 13 month stint as Southampton boss.
During their one season together in League One, Lallana scored 20 goals in all competitions and it seems clear that he made an instant impact on Pardew.
The 51-year-old may well be looking to strengthen his squad during the January transfer window as he has complained about the lack of depth and having to compete on two fronts.
The Europa League campaign has certainly not helped the league form as Newcastle are just five points clear of Southampton in 14th place.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- DeMarcus Cousins, Omar Casspi Lift Undermanned Sacramento Kings Over New Orleans Pelicans, 99-89
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast