Newcastle Plot January Bid for Southampton Captain – Report
By Adrian Back | December 5, 2012 11:09 PM EST
Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew is considering a raid on his former club Southampton for the highly-rated midfielder Adam Lallana.
The 24-year-old has been one of the stand out performers for Southampton in the Premier League as he appears to have thrived with the added pressure of the captaincy.
He has started all 15 Premier League games this season and has produced two goals and four assists as Southampton have struggled to adapt to life in the top flight, currently finding themselves third from bottom on 12 points.
Despite a difficult start for the club, Lallana has continued to demonstrate his ability and the Mirror believes that Newcastle will attempt to lure him away from the south coast with an offer in the region of £5million.
Southampton would certainly be under no pressure to allow their captain to leave as he signed a new four-year contract last season and is viewed as crucial in the fight for survival.
The Saints will also feel that his value will have increased after being rewarded for his good form with an international call-up. Lallana caught the eye of England manager Roy Hodgson and was a member of the squad for the World Cup qualifier against Ukraine back in September.
His continued rise will have come of no surprise to Pardew who managed the attacking midfielder during his 13 month stint as Southampton boss.
During their one season together in League One, Lallana scored 20 goals in all competitions and it seems clear that he made an instant impact on Pardew.
The 51-year-old may well be looking to strengthen his squad during the January transfer window as he has complained about the lack of depth and having to compete on two fronts.
The Europa League campaign has certainly not helped the league form as Newcastle are just five points clear of Southampton in 14th place.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan