Newcastle Plot January Bid for Southampton Captain – Report
By Adrian Back | December 5, 2012 11:09 PM EST
Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew is considering a raid on his former club Southampton for the highly-rated midfielder Adam Lallana.
The 24-year-old has been one of the stand out performers for Southampton in the Premier League as he appears to have thrived with the added pressure of the captaincy.
He has started all 15 Premier League games this season and has produced two goals and four assists as Southampton have struggled to adapt to life in the top flight, currently finding themselves third from bottom on 12 points.
Despite a difficult start for the club, Lallana has continued to demonstrate his ability and the Mirror believes that Newcastle will attempt to lure him away from the south coast with an offer in the region of £5million.
Southampton would certainly be under no pressure to allow their captain to leave as he signed a new four-year contract last season and is viewed as crucial in the fight for survival.
The Saints will also feel that his value will have increased after being rewarded for his good form with an international call-up. Lallana caught the eye of England manager Roy Hodgson and was a member of the squad for the World Cup qualifier against Ukraine back in September.
His continued rise will have come of no surprise to Pardew who managed the attacking midfielder during his 13 month stint as Southampton boss.
During their one season together in League One, Lallana scored 20 goals in all competitions and it seems clear that he made an instant impact on Pardew.
The 51-year-old may well be looking to strengthen his squad during the January transfer window as he has complained about the lack of depth and having to compete on two fronts.
The Europa League campaign has certainly not helped the league form as Newcastle are just five points clear of Southampton in 14th place.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories