Newcastle Plot January Bid for Southampton Captain – Report
By Adrian Back | December 5, 2012 11:09 PM EST
Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew is considering a raid on his former club Southampton for the highly-rated midfielder Adam Lallana.
The 24-year-old has been one of the stand out performers for Southampton in the Premier League as he appears to have thrived with the added pressure of the captaincy.
He has started all 15 Premier League games this season and has produced two goals and four assists as Southampton have struggled to adapt to life in the top flight, currently finding themselves third from bottom on 12 points.
Despite a difficult start for the club, Lallana has continued to demonstrate his ability and the Mirror believes that Newcastle will attempt to lure him away from the south coast with an offer in the region of £5million.
Southampton would certainly be under no pressure to allow their captain to leave as he signed a new four-year contract last season and is viewed as crucial in the fight for survival.
The Saints will also feel that his value will have increased after being rewarded for his good form with an international call-up. Lallana caught the eye of England manager Roy Hodgson and was a member of the squad for the World Cup qualifier against Ukraine back in September.
His continued rise will have come of no surprise to Pardew who managed the attacking midfielder during his 13 month stint as Southampton boss.
During their one season together in League One, Lallana scored 20 goals in all competitions and it seems clear that he made an instant impact on Pardew.
The 51-year-old may well be looking to strengthen his squad during the January transfer window as he has complained about the lack of depth and having to compete on two fronts.
The Europa League campaign has certainly not helped the league form as Newcastle are just five points clear of Southampton in 14th place.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown