Typhoon Bopha Death Toll Touches 230; Thousands Left Homeless, Many Still Missing in Philippines
By ambrosia sabrina | December 5, 2012 7:40 PM EST
Around 230 people are feared to have perished in the flash floods brought by Typhoon Bopha - the strongest tropical storm this year to have struck southern Philippines on Tuesday, Reuters reported.
The death toll was initially reported at around 40, but quickly climbed as strong winds and heavy rains ravaged the islands before heading towards the South China Sea. Those reported missing remain at large. The number of casualties is likely to rise with the ongoing rescue operations.
Local media said that most of the victims were women and children.
Compostela Valley province was the worst affected with 151 people reported to have died near an army outpost, government spokeswoman Fe Maestre told The Associated Press.
The bodies of those victims, who were killed in Compostela Valley, were pulled out from collapsed houses and layers of mud.
The weather bureau on Wednesday said Bopha, with central winds of 120 kph and gusts of up to 150 kph, headed towards the island province of Palawan but caused lesser damage, Reuters reported.
Typhoon Bopha, also known as Pablo, made landfall across the island of Mindanao early Tuesday, forcing nearly 90,000 people to evacuate their homes and seek shelter in emergency centres. Schools and other institutions remained closed and several flights were cancelled on Wednesday. Several affected areas were left without electricity and communication lines were down.
The Philippines islands endure as many as 20 typhoons per year. Among the worst of them all was Typhoon Washi which pummelled the Mindanao island with unrelenting rains and killing 1,500 people in December last year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga