Topshop’s Philip Green To Fund US & China Expansion with Stake Sale
By Lianna Brinded | December 5, 2012 7:33 PM EST
British retail billionaire Philip Green is in advanced talks with a US private equity firm to sell off a 25 percent stake in one of his clothing companies, Topshop, in a bid to expand in the US and China and secure new acquisitions.
According to Sky News, the stake in the Topshop and Topman chains, valued at £1bn ($1.62bn), is being negotiated with Los Angeles-based Leonard Green & Partners (LGP).
LGP has already widened its stake in this market, after teaming up with fellow private equity firm TPG Capital in 2010 to buy US clothing retailer J Crew for $3bn. According to reports, TPG has $15bn of capital and specialises in leveraged buy-outs.
Media reports has said that if Green did sell the Topshop stake the cash would be ring-fenced from the retail magnate's parent firm Arcadia Group, which also owns big UK clothing names such as Miss Selfridge, BHS and Burton.
Representatives at Arcadia Group and LGP were not immediately available for comment.
According to an interview with Bloomberg two weeks ago, Green said he may spend £5bn on an acquisition should the opportunity arise.
In the interview he said he plans to pursue an international expansion for his Arcadia empire.
In the latest set of full-year financial results, Arcadia posted a 25 percent year-on-year rise in underlying profit to £166.9m. However total sales remained flat at £2.68bn.
Arcadia has a presence in 112 countries and said it focused on managing inventory and product originality last year to drive earnings as sales. Green originally bought the clothing empire for £800m in 2002.
It is planning to open its fourth US store in Los Angeles in 2013 and is also broadening its presence online by adding language-specific websites and flagship stores across the globe, such as in Sydney, Melbourne, Vancouver, New York, Chicago and Las Vegas.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Russia Invades Ukraine, Pro-Russian Rebels Create 'Second Front,' Obama Maintains No Military Action from US
- TEPCO Loses in Fukushima Suicide Case, Ordered to Pay $472,000 to Family
- Better Market Your Uranium Someplace Else, Japan Appetite No Longer Huge as Before – Former PM Tells Australia Queensland Premier Campbell Newman
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares