Gretchen Molannen Commits Suicide after Florida Paper Reports on Her Rare Genital Arousal Disorder
By Jenalyn Villamarin | December 5, 2012 4:26 PM EST
Gretchen Molannen, a 39-year-old woman featured in a Tampa Bay Times story, was found dead late Saturday at her home in Spring Hill, Florida. Officials of the Hernando County Sheriff's Office did not give information on exactly when and how Gretchen Molannen died but records revealed the deputies responded to a suicide call around midnight on Saturday.
The Times received email messages from Gretchen's two friends who confirmed her sudden death and lamented that she did not receive the help she needed.
For 16 years, Gretchen Molannen struggled with a rare genital arousal disorder which is an unbearable condition marked by continuous sexual arousal. Women suffering the rare disorder are physically but not psychologically aroused. Some doctors deem that the condition is caused by a nerve malfunction.
Molannen sought help from numerous medical professionals but several claimed they had never heard of the condition. With not enough money for tests or treatments, she tried to work but her condition affected her job performance. Molannen was also unable to maintain steady employment after 1999. Her devastation over her condition eventually tempted her to commit suicide at least three times.
The Times discovered Gretchen Molannen's story on Craigslist in early 2012. She was still looking for help from medical professionals. Molannen agreed to tell her story to Times in July. The Times interviewed her for a total of 10 hours, half in person and the other half on the phone.
Before the publication, the Times thanked her via email and phone call to which she responded in an email message that stated: "Thank YOU for taking an interest in doing a story for me! I am flattered that you cared so much to want to help. I just hope this will educate people that this is serious and really exists, and that other women who are suffering in silence will now have the courage to talk to a doctor about it. If men have suffered with the shame of impotence or even priapism, now it's time for women to get help as well. Thank you for your patience with me and for devoting so much time to this. I'm sure your editor is very proud of your work and I'm excited to see my own story online."
After revealing Gretchen's story, the Times received several offers to help Molannen both from legal and medical professionals. Two women even called to say they had a similar problem with Gretchen and hoped to talk to her about it. Too bad it is already too late. Gretchen's story was also shared on a support group for women with the persistent genital arousal disorder. Their web site www.psas-support.com provides more information about the support group.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola: American Doctors in Liberia Trying Out New Methods
- 5 Deadly Reasons to Stay Away From Soda (Watch Video)
- Low-Carb Diet Helps Reduce Risk of Heart Disease, Aids Weight Loss; A Look At Celebs Who Adopted The Diet
- Boxing News 2014: 12 Days to Mayweather-Maidana Rematch; Money May’s Bikram Yoga Routine Includes Placing $100 Bills Around Mat
- Bill Clinton Credits Sugar-Free Diet For Weight Loss: A Vegan Diet If Not Followed Properly Can Cause Weight Gain
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones