Sensex Likely to Remain Range-Bound Ahead of FDI Vote
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 5, 2012 3:00 PM EST
Bombay Stock Exchange's Sensex is expected to remain sluggish on Wednesday as investors are likely to remain watchful on a day when the Parliament will vote on the government's decision to allow foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail.
Investors are focusing on the crucial vote in the parliament on whether to allow 51 percent foreign investment in the retail sector. While the ruling Congress party is favouring the move some of its coalition partners in the central government have already voiced their disagreement.
On Wednesday, Japan's Nikkei Stock Average was up 0.14 percent, or 13.24 points, to 9445.70. Among major gainers were Shinsei Bank Ltd (2.76 percent), Asahi Kasei Corp (2.13 percent) and NEC Corp (2.05 percent).
Hong Kong's Hang Seng rose 1 percent, or 219.02 points, to 22018.99. Among major gainers were China Mobile Ltd (1.38 percent) and Li & Fung Ltd (1.29 percent).
On Tuesday, the US stocks fell as investor confidence was weighed down amid uncertainty surrounding whether Congress will reach a deal to avert the fiscal cliff. Market players worry that unless the Congress acts, the scheduled rise in tax rates and spending cuts will plunge the economy into recession early next year. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.11 percent, the S&P 500 Index was down 0.17 percent and the Nasdaq Composite Index dropped 0.18 percent.
European markets were mixed Tuesday as investor concerns about the weakening global economy was revived with the growing concerns over the fiscal cliff in the US. London's FTSE 100 was down 2.20 points, Germany's DAX 30 index fell 0.09 points and France's CAC 40 gained 13.89 points.
On Tuesday Sensex rose 0.22 percent to 19,348.12 at the close. The overall market breadth was positive with 1607 advances against 1327 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index gained 0.10 percent to 6,992.27 and Smallcap Index advanced 0.59 percent to 7,381.73.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 17, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 18, 2014
- Financial Intelligence Agency Suspends Sydney Remittance Firm Over Suspicions It Is Used To Finance Terrorism In Middle East
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 17, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 18, 2014
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone