$99 Google Nexus 7 to be Released Soon?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | December 5, 2012 1:36 PM EST
Rumors emerged that Google is bound to release a tweaked Google Nexus 7 that costs $99 - a bargain that no one can definitely resist.
Whispers are everywhere this week claiming that the device will be released in the near future, most probably in early 2013. The reports originated from GLBenchmark where a Nexus 7 appeared.
The rumored smaller tablet did not quite live up to its bigger brothers in terms of specs and features under the hood. According to the post, the $99 Google Nexus 7 will launch with a considerably less-speedy 1GHz processor, 1GB of RAM, a 4,270mAh battery and Android OS version 4.1.1 Jelly Bean on the boot.
The exact type of processor and the number of cores are still unknown. However, one can assume that the most likely suspect would be a dual-core chip as a single core processor will be used in this cheaper version of the tablet.
The release of the purported mini tablet is may be due to the popularity of Google hardwares thanks to its cheap price and amazing features.
The original $249 Google Nexus 7 sports a quad-core Tegra 3 processor backed by 1GB of RAM and with Android 4.2 Jelly bean at the helm. This entry-level version of the Nexus 7 with 8GB of storage was discontinued by Google last month and has since been replaced with the newer 16GB version with a tag price of $299 available in Google Play Store.
The inception of a cheaper version of Google Nexus 7 will surely intensify the competition. Nexus 7 is deemed to be an iPad killer. However, it also takes aim to Amazon's Kindle Fire HD, which was launched recently. Kindle Fire is also 7-inch tablet and was sold with the same price range.
In Australia, iPad remained as the dominant tablet holding 62 percent of the tablet market. Android accounts to 36 percent of the market. However, it is expected to increase with the release of the new mobile software Android Jelly Bean. Android devices also contribute in increasing the popularity of Google's software.
On the other hand, Google Nexus 7's brother, Nexus 4, was reported to appear in Google Play Store in selected countries. The popular smartphone remained out of stock after it sold out hours after it became available.
Reports said that the 16GB LG Nexus 4 will ship the handsets by next year. The timeframe for getting your hands on the 16GB version of the LG Nexus 4 from ordering it is increasing very fast. The handset was offered for sale again on Tuesday; however the shipping date had changed for 1 to 2 weeks to 3 to 4 weeks in just a matter of hours.
Then it quickly changed again to 4 to 5 weeks. Just a few days on from this and now the 16GB LG Nexus 4 shipping time has been changed to 6 to 7. This means that one will most likely see the device in 2013.
Last week, the 8GB version of the LG Nexus 4 saw a similar situation and that it could be February 2013 before you could get your hands on it. Thus, you may want to consider if you are planning to buy the device for the holidays.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change