USA Xmas: First Guns…Now Gold
By The Daily Reckoning Australia | December 5, 2012 12:46 PM EST
It's not only gun sales that spiked after Election Day. So did the sale of Gold Eagles from the U.S. Mint.
While Eagle sales hardly set a 'record' last month, as touted at the Drudge Report, they did turn in the best number since July 2010, and the best November since 1998. The final figures out this morning from the Mint indicate 136,500 ounces.
'There is a huge influx of new high-net-worth individuals that are buying a lot of gold, and they are taking physical possession of it,' David Beahm tells Reuters: He ought to know: He's vice president at bullion retailer Blanchard & Co. 'This quarter,' he adds, 'is shaping up to be one of the best since the last quarter of 2008.'
Hmmm, we seem to recall something about the world coming to an end back then...
The rolling 30-day average of sales, measured in dollars, does indeed look impressive on a chart going back to February of this year and likely prompted Drudge's careless headline...
Anonymous 'analysts' reaching for explanations are chalking it up to 'political uncertainty due to a heated U.S. presidential race and $600 billion automatic cuts in government spending and tax increases early next year,' according to Reuters.
Ah, yes, the fiscal cliff - the handy explanation for everything from growing gold sales to an epidemic of nail fungus...
On the other side of the world, a new catalyst for gold is taking shape in China. Banks there can trade gold among themselves over the counter, starting today.
'From a government perspective, gold is seen as currency, and the government is slowly releasing the controls on currency. We expect the [gold] market will be opened up to more foreign banks,' Standard Chartered global chief of metals trading Jeremy East tells The Wall Street Journal.
Next step: the development of a gold ETF to trade on the Shanghai Stock Exchange.
for The Daily Reckoning Australia
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 17, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 18, 2014
- Financial Intelligence Agency Suspends Sydney Remittance Firm Over Suspicions It Is Used To Finance Terrorism In Middle East
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 17, 2014
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone