Kindle Fire HD 8.9 as Christmas Gift? Specs, Performance, and Round-Up of Reviews [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | December 5, 2012 12:31 PM EST
There is no better tablet for Amazon shoppers than the Kindle Fire HD 8.9. But that is only true if your primary use for your tablet is browsing Amazon items - and you do not want a smaller tablet.
Here are the specs of the latest version of Kindle Fire HD:
Kindle Fire HD 8.9 is connected online via wi-fi. Those who want a 4G LTE bit of AT&T mobile data will pay $50 a year of 250MB monthly data. You will pay extra for excess MB. So if you're a heavy content user, the wi-fi only device may be the practical way to go.
Display and Dimensions
Kindle Fire HD 8.9 boasts of 1920 x 1200 pixels over 8.9 inches (254ppi) screen display. The iPad 4th generation and the Nexus 10 can boast better, but an average user will hardly notice the difference.
The Amazon tablet measures 240×160×8.8mm and weighs 567 g.
OS, Chip, CPU and Storage
The user is served with Android OS 4.0, OMAP4470 dual-core, 1.5 GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A, 64 GB storage within the Kindle Fire 8.9 HD.
In contrast to the Kindle Fire HD 7" which was powered by 4400mAh, the 8.9 model has better battery life with 6000mAh.
Kindle Fire HD 8.9 costs $299 for wi-fi only connectivity.
Round-up of Reviews
"For [S299] there's no competition unless you want a smaller display and a different content environment. For Amazon users, there's nothing else..." - Chris Burns, Slashgear.com
"If you're looking for a pure media consumption experience, the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 delivers better than any tablet before it." - Erik Franklin, Cnet.com
"(T)his isn't a device that can charge you through the day and actually help you create content. You won't whip this out to power through tons of email or shoot off important documents. Those aspects seem like afterthoughts, and you have to think Amazon designed it to be that way." - Brandon Russell, technobuffalo.com
"At its core, the Kindle Fire HD is still just a screen for gobbling up movies, books, and magazines." - Steve Kovach, Business Insider
"If you're going to get a Kindle Fire HD 8.9, do so knowing that it's primarily a content consumption device and that Wi-Fi is your friend." Paul Thurrott, winsupersite.com
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef