London Games were "value for money" - watchdog
December 5, 2012 11:21 AM EST
Public funding of nine billion pounds for the London Olympics was money well spent after a successful Games, the National Audit Office (NAO) said in a report on Wednesday.
The NAO found fault with an initial underestimate of how much public money was needed and the failure of private contractor G4S to supply enough security guards which meant British troops had to be drafted in just before the Olympics.
However, its report was generally positive about a Games that the government hopes will help attract additional investment and tourists to Britain.
"By any reasonable measure the Games were a success and the big picture is that they have delivered value for money," said the NAO, an independent body which scrutinises public spending on behalf of parliament.
"LOCOG (London Organisers) sold 11 million tickets and our athletes excelled," it added.
"Crucially, the Games passed off without major transport disruption or security incident. The scale of the construction programme and the fact that it was completed on time and within budget is impressive."
Deciding on a tenant for the Olympic Stadium, the centrepiece of the Olympic Park in east London, has been a slow process and has threatened to remove some of the goodwill generated by the Games.
A solution could finally be found on Wednesday when the board of the London Legacy Development Corporation examines final bids from four parties, including Premier League football club West Ham United.
West Ham are viewed as the most likely candidate but agreement has been elusive on how to divide up the costs of adapting the stadium for football use.
(Writing by Keith Weir; Editing by John Mehaffey)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions