London Games were "value for money" - watchdog
December 5, 2012 11:21 AM EST
Public funding of nine billion pounds for the London Olympics was money well spent after a successful Games, the National Audit Office (NAO) said in a report on Wednesday.
The NAO found fault with an initial underestimate of how much public money was needed and the failure of private contractor G4S to supply enough security guards which meant British troops had to be drafted in just before the Olympics.
However, its report was generally positive about a Games that the government hopes will help attract additional investment and tourists to Britain.
"By any reasonable measure the Games were a success and the big picture is that they have delivered value for money," said the NAO, an independent body which scrutinises public spending on behalf of parliament.
"LOCOG (London Organisers) sold 11 million tickets and our athletes excelled," it added.
"Crucially, the Games passed off without major transport disruption or security incident. The scale of the construction programme and the fact that it was completed on time and within budget is impressive."
Deciding on a tenant for the Olympic Stadium, the centrepiece of the Olympic Park in east London, has been a slow process and has threatened to remove some of the goodwill generated by the Games.
A solution could finally be found on Wednesday when the board of the London Legacy Development Corporation examines final bids from four parties, including Premier League football club West Ham United.
West Ham are viewed as the most likely candidate but agreement has been elusive on how to divide up the costs of adapting the stadium for football use.
(Writing by Keith Weir; Editing by John Mehaffey)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers