Jeremy Lin Vs. Kobe Bryant: Can The Lakers Beat The Rockets Without Pau Gasol
December 5, 2012 10:06 AM EST
After three big games in February, Jeremy Lin was starting to get national attention. He led the New York Knicks to three straight wins, going from the last man on the bench to the team’s starting point guard.
With the Knicks set to face the Los Angeles Lakers on national television, the media was looking to get Kobe Bryant’s take on “Linsanity.”
“What? No idea,” responded Bryant when asked about “Linsanity.” “I know who he is but I don’t really know what’s going on too much with them. I don’t even know what he’s done. Like, I have no idea what you guys are talking about.”
The future Hall of Famer quickly learned about Lin, when the second-year player dropped 38 points on L.A. in a New York victory.
Now, the two stars will meet again, with Lin in a different uniform. The Lakers will visit Houston Rockets on Tuesday night. The game is set to tip off at 8 p.m. ET. You can watch a live stream online by purchasing NBA League Pass Broadband.
Lin and the Rockets enter the contest playing, perhaps, their best basketball of the 2012-2013 NBA season. They have won three out of their last four games, and have pulled back to .500 at 8-8.
Los Angeles is still struggling to find their way at 8-9. They recently lost to Dwight Howard’s former team at Staples Center. The 5-10 Magic left L.A. with a 10-point victory.
Pau Gasol struggled again in that contest, and was sat by Mike D’Antoni in the final minutes. Gasol has had trouble adjusting to his new head coach’s offensive system, with Bryant saying that it was time for his teammate to put on his “big boy pants.”
Injuries may also be playing a role in Gasol’s lack of production. The seven-footer will not play against Houston because of tendinitis in both knees. It’s unknown how long he will be out, but D’Antoni said it was his player’s choice to rest up.
"The biggest thing with him was that he was playing hurt and in this league you just can't do that," stated D’Antoni."I just didn't think he was running fluidly."
Antawn Jamison will get the start in Gasol’s place. He played ahead of Gasol, down the stretch, against Orlando.
Through 17 games, Gasol is putting up the worst numbers of his career. His 12.6 points per game are almost six less than his career average of 18.5.
Both Gasol and Howard have been less effective on offensive without a legitimate starting point guard. Steve Nash has been injured since the second game of the season, and backup Steve Blake is scheduled to miss six to eight weeks with abdominal surgery. D’Antoni’s offense is reliant upon a good point guard, and Darius Morris and Chris Duhon don’t have what it takes to run it efficiently.
Betting Line: Los Angeles-1.5, 212.5
Prediction: Without Gasol or a solid point guard, the Lakers will be forced to rely on Bryant even more. He’s leading the league in scoring, but the burden of carrying the offense has forced him to commit a lot of turnovers. If James Harden can have a good game, it might be difficult for the Lakers to leave Houston with a win.
Predicted Score: Houston 110, Los Angeles 99
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies